Second Recess Questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Second Recess Questions

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Howdy all,

I've been doing some research on the Second Recess above Mono Creek and despite many Google searches and reading relevant posts on this forum I can't find the information I need. Hoping someone here can help me out.

Since I haven't posted in a while, here's my relevant details:

• What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 4- Comfortable with trail and/or x-country travel

• What terrain are you comfortable with?
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country
- Class 3 terrain/pass/x-country (Would prefer to keep this minimal—will not be carrying a rope.)
- River crossings
- Snow travel/Glacier crossings (Soft afternoon snow—will not be carrying ice axe or microspikes)

I'd like to do a loop around the top of the Second Recess, going from Upper Mills Creek Lake and staying north of Mono Divide, making my way to Mist Lake and then into the First Recess. From the look of the terrain, this may be impossible/extremely difficult, but I wanted to ask here to make sure. Below is an image with my ideal route and three numbered locations.
HST_Qs_Second_Recess.jpg
Point #1) Secor notes this as a Class 2 route to summit Mt. Gabb, following the glacier up to the NW ridge. From this ridge, can one descend to the SW and follow the contour to Lake 11,740?

Point #2) Is this small notch to the NW of Hilgard Pass a Class 2 or 3 route? Has anyone ever gone this way to reach Mist Lake? (If I am able to make it here and Point #2 is impassable, I do have the option of going over Hilgard Pass or following the ramps, mentioned in Secor, back down the Second Recess.)

Point #3) From Mist Lake, can one contour to the NNW without losing much elevation and curve west to the saddle connecting to the First Recess?

This route is obviously a product me dreaming and looking at maps too long. The more I look at it, the more I think it's folly to try it. (And probably the reason I can't find any info on this small area.) Honestly, I'm betting one of the regulars here can tell me it's not a good idea and that will be fine. I just wanted to cover all the bases before I wrote it off. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Second Recess Questions

Post by maverick »

PM sent about route.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Dittli »

The notch at point 2 goes. Traversing over from Hilgard pass, I actually passed thru a notch higher on the ridge (south) then depicted on the map. From there I traversed west to a notch and crossed over into the "north fork Hilgard Lake creek". The slope down to Mist lake looked like easy slab, but it was under snow,
1006_623_D1L.jpg
1006_612_D1LP.jpg
1006_619_D1L.jpg
I thought I had a photo of the east side of the Mist Lake notch, but I guess not. I seem to recall an easy, short, 2nd class gully.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Thank you, John & Maverick. The info you've provided is quite helpful. Perhaps this route isn't as difficult as I assumed.
murphtron
Topix Acquainted

Post by murphtron »

Hi does anyone have insight to snow levels in Mono Creek and up into the recesses? I'm thinking about a long weekender early June leaving from Lake TE and exploring the recesses. I hear there's more snow in the south vs north.

Thanks in advance.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

I was up in Little Lakes Valley yesterday; Ruby Lake is frozen and Mono Pass has snow from the last switchback. I'm guessing the Recesses (north facing) are pretty snow covered down to 10,000, maybe 9,500'. That's just a guess though.

Oh, and actually there is way more snow in the north....
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
murphtron
Topix Acquainted

Post by murphtron »

Moved this question to new thread
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 274#p68920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by murphtron on Thu May 16, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Murphtron,

Please start a separate thread inquiring about specific's concerning your trip
so you do not piggyback on the OP's thread. Thanks Mav
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ken M
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ken M »

Part of your question is answered in this wonderful TR:

http://www.johnreedfamily.com/~mono_rec ... s_2000.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Thanks, Ken. I had come across this TR during my search. It does cover a small portion of the route I hope to take.