Happy Cinco de Mayo from Northern Deso

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Happy Cinco de Mayo from Northern Deso

Post by Vaca Russ »

"Sport" heard about the trip I made with Maverick (See the Fishing Hole) and wanted to try her hand at catching bows.

We saw this school of fish swimming around in Loon.
1 School.JPG
Some of you may know the exact spot. We were on the trail directly above the inlet tunnel from Buck Island. Can anybody identify these fish? They look to be about 5” to 6” long.

This is the largest snow patch on the trail.
2 Sport Snow.JPG
Compare that to 5 days before.
3 Snow Trail.JPG
Last year sport caught many little trout in this spot with Panther Martins. It was not to be this year. The stream is still blown out.
4 Sport's Waterfall.JPG
We made camp just outside the wilderness and headed to Rockbound to catch that night’s dinner.

The next day we hiked into the wilderness to recon the Rubicon Reservoir. There was a little stream crossing sans shoes at the inlet of Rockbound.
5 Stream Crossing.JPG
We made it to the dam on the reservoir.
6 Dam Sport.JPG
The wind was really blowing hard down on us from these snow covered mountains. A weather front was on its way in.
7 Rubicon Snow.JPG
We didn’t fish the reservoir due to this wind but I did toss a PM right at the outlet of the dam. I caught nothing. I didn’t even see a follower.

We saw this little guy on the hike back to base camp. I was probably able to get so close due to his postprandial torpor.
9 Postprandial Torpor.JPG
Mika was wiped out as well.
8 Mika.JPG
I think I am going to change my moniker to "Mylar Balloon Boy". :)
10 Mylar.JPG
It rained a little that afternoon but the real rain / sleet came down on us right at the end of the last day’s hike. We really got dumped on. It was so bad "Sport" had her window on the truck open for the first half hour due to the lovely smell of wet dogs. :D

Thanks for reading my report.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Happy Cinco de Mayo from Northern Deso

Post by maverick »

Thanks Russ for another fun report. Love the doggie photos, they really look like
their having fun. The "wiped out" photo says it all.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I think you hit it just right before the storm rolled in. I was due east of you on Saturday, up the Meeks drainage. I was going to spend the night at the second lake and was prepped for the worst. I still wimped out and bailed at 5 p.m. as the rain started. I knew I made the right decision when lying in bed at home at 3 a.m. the thunder and lightning broke loose. It rained and hailed yesterday, and its been snowing off and on all morning at lake level today.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

We were up there yesterday and walked along the north shore until we were stopped by a cliff. When we got back to the truck, about 12:30, we had lightning, thunder and lots of hail. I am curious about the many apparent "campsites" along the north shore. Are these legal off-season? None of the campgrounds were open but we saw several trailers and tents doing "dispersed" camping. What actually is the dispersed camping rule before the campgrounds open? I was under the impression that you cannot do dispersed camping within Crystal Basin Recreation area.