Good May/June backpacking hike (two day)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bsd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Good May/June backpacking hike (two day)

Post by bsd »

I was planning to hike to the Dinkey Lakes (got this awesome detailed map) but hear it is overburden with mosquitoes in May/June/July so I will postpone that one. I was thinking Pryor Lake or Nellie, any suggestions?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Good May/June backpacking hike (two day)

Post by oldranger »

Try to figure out where there is still a fair amount of snow--once the snow is gone you have mosquitoes for the next 4 weeks, at least. Sometimes though weird things happen-- like a supper cold night will set mosquitoes back. Last year Markskor and I camped at a lake in early June with no mosquitoes but two years earlier in Mid July they were horrible at the same location. But then the fishing was much better.

Good luck!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Good May/June backpacking hike (two day)

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This year, by June, there may be lower elevation places where the snow has long ago melted and mosquitoes have already come and gone. I did Pohono Trial a few days ago - dry as a bone and NO mosquitoes. Just a few mosquitoes at dusk in the Valley.

How about going up towards Castle Domes from end of road in Kings Canyon?