Beta Map Interface & Flyer in Continued Larry Conn search

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Beta Map Interface & Flyer in Continued Larry Conn search

Post by Hobbes »

It's a very nice first edition, but as others have already pointed out, the interface could be a little more streamlined.

I would remove most of the overlay options and just make them part of the base map. For example, does the menu really need an option for roads, trails & ranger station(s)? Why not just make those identifiers part of the base?

Second, and I'm echoing others here, the existing search overlay is not that helpful. For one, the resolution appears to be too coarse. I would imagine the GIS experts should be able to plot the GPS way points in some kind of .kml file so that it could be rendered within the existing maps.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

This was posted on Facebook today and probably some of the other social networking sites. Seems like a good way to get the word out.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/stensbysar.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

OK. Thanks to all for your comments and improvements. I'm calling it done and ready for prime time.

The map interface is here:
http://goo.gl/IUCyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The flyer is here:
http://goo.gl/oS3Jl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would be great if people could print the flyer and put up in mountaineering stores in your area. I'm sending to a friend to post in Bishop. Don't know what REI policy is, but if people could take them by there, that would be appreciated. Links from Facebook etc. would also be terrific.

There's a new QR code in the flyer. According to Esri, their site will do better with phones etc. in June but at the moment it's not totally up to speed (thanks snusmumriken). Everyone's thought and comments were valid, considered and appreciated. We'll see how this version goes.

The recent Yosemite online SAR flyer is great, though for a narrower task (immediate and active SAR). I talked to YOSAR, where we've been talking about the best way to do this sort of stuff for a long time. Note that they asked for photos. They got one showing the pack by the railing and were able to establish an early timeline from that.. That's just to say that the art of getting information out online and social media is improving. As you folks see stuff online, send me any thoughts or reactions you have and I'll try to get them adopted if they look good.

Thanks again,

George
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Nice work George, it looks like it was well worth the effort. :thumbsup:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

explore the area around Pincho"
Can the misspelling of Pinchot be corrected in the hiker's quote?
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien