TR: Taboose Pass Trail - Cardinal Mountain 4.12-4.13.13

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Taboose Pass Trail - Cardinal Mountain 4.12-4.13.13

Post by richlong8 »

Kathy:
I have been on this search about a year, trying to come up with the best lightweight camera upgrade to the compact Panasonic LX-5 I used to carry so I can take a better quality photo. I used the Oly last summer, and once I took my last trip of 2013 in mid-October, I had very little time or inclination in my local area to take photos. So I decided to sell, and tried a couple other different options, the Sony Nex-6, and the Panasonic G5. What I have come to realize is there is really no perfect setup out there, there are compromises no matter what, if you are trying to save weight, and bring a good camera along.
The issues that I had with the Oly were the complex menu systems, and small buttons.
The Sony Nex-6, I loved the camera body, but the Sony lenses are comparatively heavy, and lousy.
The Panasonic G5, I had almost settled on, it is only half the price of the OLY, but then I found out the very expensive 12-35mm wide angle lens that would make it a great High Sierra landscape camera has some issues with the Image stabilization when mounted on a tripod...so that defeated the whole purpose for me.
This second time around, I am actually more comfortable with the OLY, as I have really studied the menu system, and tried to set it up with the basic settings that I feel I need, and become very familiar with those settings. This weekend will be my first since October, and am going to concentrate on hiking and using the camera, no fishing or peak bagging.
I have been shooting some flowers with the 60mm macro, and I think it is an amazing lens, and it does not weigh that much in comparison to a high quality DSLR macro lens.
These pics are not as sharp as they could be, but it gives an idea what the 60mm can do.
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jimmeans »

Kathy,

Thanks for the TR and photos, I always make sure to check out your reports. I really appreciate that you include a map with your photos, it helps me to follow the action.

How is the road to the trailhead?

Thanks,
Jim
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

The road to the trailhead is a bit lumpy and bumpy, but probably most vehicles can get down it if they drive slowly. Easier in a truck than in something with low clearance though.
Ken M
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ken M »

Kathy,

Another fabulous trip report, and GREAT pictures!
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jimmeans »

Kathy,

We were on the Taboose Pass Trail yesterday. I remember the section of your thread regarding your cameras, and then I ran across this on the trail about 1/2 mile past the first creek crossing.
IMG_0232.jpg
Missing something?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Yes, that's mine. Did you also find some Black Diamond Trekking poles? I think I might have forgot to put them in my truck when I got back to the trailhead. I didn't realize they were missing until last night. I went to pack them in my suitcase for a trip to New Mexico and I couldn't find them anywhere. I just bought them too - I seem to lose a couple pairs of trekking poles a year. I guess it's because I only use them part of the time; so it takes me a while to miss them when I leave them behind somewhere. Well, I'm off to REI to buy some new poles - I might buy the children's ones because they are less expensive and should be long enough for me.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Just get into a habit of strapping them to your pack when not in use, and then there
is no chance of leaving them behind again.
Osprey has a Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment which allows you to stow and
remove poles without removing your pack, you could probably put something similar
together yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSX2iKZXw6U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Last year, I bought and used a pair of Easton CTR-60 trekking poles, and will use them this year. The adjustment clamps work quickly, easily, and stay in position. They reduce down to a very short, compact height, and it is very easy to either put them my pack or strap on the side, where they are short enough to not snag on anything, when I want to have hands free. I am glad I am not the only one out there who loses things, though that is probably not much comfort to you. Wading shoes, hiking poles, camera filters, knives, tent stakes, .... just follow behind me, and you will never have to buy anything!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rich that could be added to this post a while back :D : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5508&p=34732&hilit= ... ost#p34732" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Ok. I added it to the Campfire. Now that I think about it, I lost a pair of prescription glasses on Tyndall Creek, and once brought my Whispelite stove, and forgot to bring the pump. Fortunately, that was only a weekend trip.