Monarch Divide trip report | High Sierra Topix  

Monarch Divide trip report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Monarch Divide trip report

Postby TehipiteTom » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:56 am

8/8 - 8/16. Went up the Copper Creek trail, over Granite Pass, then spent the next 6 days going from one off-trail lake basin to another. Gorgeous lakes, awesome views, great weather--a fantastic trip.

Got a much longer trip report (in progress) with pictures on my blog.
Part 1: http://tehipitetom.blogspot.com/2006/08/monarch-divide-trip-report-part-1.html
Part 2: http://tehipitetom.blogspot.com/2006/08/monarch-divide-trip-report-part-2.html
One or two more segments still to come...

TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby hikerduane » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:23 am

Thank you for the pics, motivates me to want to go just a bit further south in my quest to visit more terrain I haven't visited. Yet!
Piece of cake.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Experience: N/A

Postby TehipiteTom » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:44 am

hikerduane wrote:Thank you for the pics, motivates me to want to go just a bit further south in my quest to visit more terrain I haven't visited. Yet!

Glad you enjoyed them...and there's more to come! :)
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Postby TehipiteTom » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:06 am

TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Postby hikerduane » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:11 pm

Ah! Nice. That first pic in your third set is nice, love the Shooting stars in the creek. Those xc trips can be disheartning quite a bit of the time. Luckily on my last trip things were pretty much cut and dried, just one "I don't remember this" and one oh-oh. On my trip a few weeks ago, one stretch I saw no one for a day and a half and the next day was the start of a stretch where I saw no one for 2 days and I was only a few hours off the JMT. Once back on the JM Highway, I saw 20 people within a few hours. One of these years I am going to have to do it to see what all the fuss is about. Thank you.
Piece of cake.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Postby giantbrookie » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:14 pm

Sweet photos and a nice trip that is more creative than that of many who go to that neck of the woods (who tend to use Copper Creek as a way to get to the SHR). Volcanic Lakes and the Kid Creek drainage have long been high on my to do list. They look as nice as I imagined them.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Postby TehipiteTom » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:49 am

hikerduane wrote:Ah! Nice. That first pic in your third set is nice, love the Shooting stars in the creek. Those xc trips can be disheartning quite a bit of the time. Luckily on my last trip things were pretty much cut and dried, just one "I don't remember this" and one oh-oh. On my trip a few weeks ago, one stretch I saw no one for a day and a half and the next day was the start of a stretch where I saw no one for 2 days and I was only a few hours off the JMT. Once back on the JM Highway, I saw 20 people within a few hours. One of these years I am going to have to do it to see what all the fuss is about. Thank you.

Thanks, Duane! :) (By the way, here's another pic from the same location, with very different light: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomhilton/217847306/in/set-72157594247569788/.) I love the challenge of routefinding, and this trip went pretty well on that score--a few frustrating moments, but mostly the route just fell into place.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Postby TehipiteTom » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:51 am

giantbrookie wrote:Sweet photos and a nice trip that is more creative than that of many who go to that neck of the woods (who tend to use Copper Creek as a way to get to the SHR). Volcanic Lakes and the Kid Creek drainage have long been high on my to do list. They look as nice as I imagined them.

Thanks, GB. :) I have an aversion to following the same route as anybody else...I know it means I miss a lot of cool places, but it also gets me into some amazing country, and when it does I feel like it's my own discovery. ;)
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Postby Snow Nymph » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:29 pm

I keep getting "Internal Server Error" on all 3 links. I'll try later. :(
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Postby TehipiteTom » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:09 am

Part 4 is posted: http://tehipitetom.blogspot.com/2006/08/monarch-divide-trip-report-part-4.html

I keep getting "Internal Server Error" on all 3 links. I'll try later.

Hmmm...could be Blogger was down for a while (it's been a little unreliable this morning). Or if you're at work, it could be a firewall problem. I dunno.

If you still can't get there, pictures (without report) are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomhilton/sets/72157594247569788/
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Postby cgundersen » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:07 pm

Hi Tom,
Great trip report! My wife and I took a 9 day trip through the same area in late June this year (and most of the lakes were still pretty much iced over), and like you, it was the first time we'd been up Copper Creek in a long time (1978, actually). I think that long, hot hillside is a bit of a deterrent (and there were no snakes when we went through). What we found most remarkable (as you noted) is that these relatively accessible lakes (all the way up and into Marion Lakes basin) remain amazingly pristine. Well, the panoramas were stunning, too. I keep trying to remember if there is any other area in the Sierras where one gets views that stretch as far in every direction. Sure, there are spots where one gets a dynamite 180 degrees, even 240, but on some of the ridges in that area, it's 360, and your photos do a great job showing it. I definitely plan to go back-early season helps with the heat factor!
CG
cgundersen
Topix Expert

Postby TehipiteTom » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:53 pm

cgundersen wrote:Hi Tom,
Great trip report! My wife and I took a 9 day trip through the same area in late June this year (and most of the lakes were still pretty much iced over), and like you, it was the first time we'd been up Copper Creek in a long time (1978, actually). I think that long, hot hillside is a bit of a deterrent (and there were no snakes when we went through). What we found most remarkable (as you noted) is that these relatively accessible lakes (all the way up and into Marion Lakes basin) remain amazingly pristine. Well, the panoramas were stunning, too. I keep trying to remember if there is any other area in the Sierras where one gets views that stretch as far in every direction. Sure, there are spots where one gets a dynamite 180 degrees, even 240, but on some of the ridges in that area, it's 360, and your photos do a great job showing it. I definitely plan to go back-early season helps with the heat factor!
CG

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the TR & pics. I agree with you--I think the Monarch Divide has some of the best panoramic views in the range. And they're everywhere--we were rarely without them, and almost never more than a few minutes' walk from some breathtaking panoramic view.

Must have been a ton of snow up there in June. Where all did you go?
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Next

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping