HST Community      Monarch Divide trip report

Monarch Divide trip report | High Sierra Topix  

Monarch Divide trip report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Monarch Divide trip report

Postby TehipiteTom » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:56 am

8/8 - 8/16. Went up the Copper Creek trail, over Granite Pass, then spent the next 6 days going from one off-trail lake basin to another. Gorgeous lakes, awesome views, great weather--a fantastic trip.

Got a much longer trip report (in progress) with pictures on my blog.
Part 1: http://tehipitetom.blogspot.com/2006/08/monarch-divide-trip-report-part-1.html
Part 2: http://tehipitetom.blogspot.com/2006/08/monarch-divide-trip-report-part-2.html
One or two more segments still to come...



User avatar
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:42 am
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby hikerduane » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:23 am

Thank you for the pics, motivates me to want to go just a bit further south in my quest to visit more terrain I haven't visited. Yet!
Piece of cake.
User avatar
hikerduane
Founding Member
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:58 am
Location: Meadow Valley, CA
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby TehipiteTom » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:44 am

hikerduane wrote:Thank you for the pics, motivates me to want to go just a bit further south in my quest to visit more terrain I haven't visited. Yet!

Glad you enjoyed them...and there's more to come! :)
User avatar
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:42 am
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby TehipiteTom » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:06 am

User avatar
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:42 am
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby hikerduane » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:11 pm

Ah! Nice. That first pic in your third set is nice, love the Shooting stars in the creek. Those xc trips can be disheartning quite a bit of the time. Luckily on my last trip things were pretty much cut and dried, just one "I don't remember this" and one oh-oh. On my trip a few weeks ago, one stretch I saw no one for a day and a half and the next day was the start of a stretch where I saw no one for 2 days and I was only a few hours off the JMT. Once back on the JM Highway, I saw 20 people within a few hours. One of these years I am going to have to do it to see what all the fuss is about. Thank you.
Piece of cake.
User avatar
hikerduane
Founding Member
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:58 am
Location: Meadow Valley, CA
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby giantbrookie » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:14 pm

Sweet photos and a nice trip that is more creative than that of many who go to that neck of the woods (who tend to use Copper Creek as a way to get to the SHR). Volcanic Lakes and the Kid Creek drainage have long been high on my to do list. They look as nice as I imagined them.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html
User avatar
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fresno
Experience: N/A

Postby TehipiteTom » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:49 am

hikerduane wrote:Ah! Nice. That first pic in your third set is nice, love the Shooting stars in the creek. Those xc trips can be disheartning quite a bit of the time. Luckily on my last trip things were pretty much cut and dried, just one "I don't remember this" and one oh-oh. On my trip a few weeks ago, one stretch I saw no one for a day and a half and the next day was the start of a stretch where I saw no one for 2 days and I was only a few hours off the JMT. Once back on the JM Highway, I saw 20 people within a few hours. One of these years I am going to have to do it to see what all the fuss is about. Thank you.

Thanks, Duane! :) (By the way, here's another pic from the same location, with very different light: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomhilton/217847306/in/set-72157594247569788/.) I love the challenge of routefinding, and this trip went pretty well on that score--a few frustrating moments, but mostly the route just fell into place.
User avatar
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:42 am
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby TehipiteTom » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:51 am

giantbrookie wrote:Sweet photos and a nice trip that is more creative than that of many who go to that neck of the woods (who tend to use Copper Creek as a way to get to the SHR). Volcanic Lakes and the Kid Creek drainage have long been high on my to do list. They look as nice as I imagined them.

Thanks, GB. :) I have an aversion to following the same route as anybody else...I know it means I miss a lot of cool places, but it also gets me into some amazing country, and when it does I feel like it's my own discovery. ;)
User avatar
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:42 am
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Snow Nymph » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:29 pm

I keep getting "Internal Server Error" on all 3 links. I'll try later. :(
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison


http://snownymph.smugmug.com/
User avatar
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:43 pm
Location: Santa Barbara & Mammoth Lakes, CA
Experience: N/A

Postby TehipiteTom » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:09 am

Part 4 is posted: http://tehipitetom.blogspot.com/2006/08/monarch-divide-trip-report-part-4.html

I keep getting "Internal Server Error" on all 3 links. I'll try later.

Hmmm...could be Blogger was down for a while (it's been a little unreliable this morning). Or if you're at work, it could be a firewall problem. I dunno.

If you still can't get there, pictures (without report) are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomhilton/sets/72157594247569788/
User avatar
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:42 am
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Next

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Davey and 3 guests