Favorite East Slope day hikes south of Bishop?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Favorite East Slope day hikes south of Bishop?

Post by acvdmlac »

I'm interested in hearing about favorite day hikes from trailheads on the Sierra East Slope in the section from North Lake to Whitney Portal. Thinking mostly about aesthetic rewards--views of peaks and Owens Valley; streams, falls and lakes; desert sage to alpine meadows, variety of flora and fauna, etc.. I'm a Level 3 backpacker, have already been over Piute, Bishop, Kearsarge and much of Shepherd Pass, looking for suggestions for other similarly rewarding trails to take a fit but inexperienced newbie on day-hikes from East Side. Something in the 8-12 mile round trip with 1,500-2,500' ascent would be about right. What are favorites? Thanks, I'm all eyes and ears! Love this forum! :)
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: Favorite East Slope day hikes south of Bishop?

Post by gary c. »

You said that you have been to Kearsarge so you already know how great that view is. I don't see how you could go wrong with a hike to Cottonwood Lakes and maybe New Arny Pass.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

Gary C. is spot on, the Cottonwood lakes makes a great day hike in the 8-12 mi range. You won't get the 1500-2500 ascent unless you go up one of the Army passes.

Another option would be Big Pine lakes. They get overlooked because there isn't any hiker access out to JMT/PCT. You can adjust your mileage by limiting the number of lakes you visit. A few of the lakes are glacial runoff so they hake that blue opaque look.

Here are some pictures from a day hike I took to Big Pine lakes last year:
IMGP0674.JPG
IMGP0686.JPG
Seventh lake was particularly beautiful in July this past year with lots of wildflowers all around it.
IMGP0701.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted

Post by acvdmlac »

Fantastic! I've been curious about both Cottonwood Lakes & Big Pine areas, now they're on my list..And thanks for the great photos!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I like birch lake out of mc murray meadows, or shingle mill bench. Both just south of big pine. Also the back trail into coyote from glacier lodge is also nice!
I'm no suture for my future.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

willow lake on the South Fork trail from the big pines th.The view from just above the lake is jaw dropping spectacular and imo better than the big pine lakes. 8-9 miles rt from day hiker parking lot.Quite a few amazing gnarled up bristle cone pine trees in the last mile up.
Wish i could link my photos but webshots went bust.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

DAVELA -
Thanks for that tip. I have been interested in exploring that area, and might just give it an early season try this spring, conditions permitting. Given that I find the views impressive in the North Fork Big Pine Creek drainage, your description of the view tantalizes. I think Schmaltz was looking for some info about the creek crossing - that would be interesting.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

That 1,500-2,500' gain is a limiting factor. If you're willing to do more gain, your options will grow.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

DAVELA wrote:willow lake on the South Fork trail from the big pines th...Quite a few amazing gnarled up bristle cone pine trees in the last mile up.
Actually no bristlecone pines in the Sierra. Likely were looking at foxtail pines or limber pines.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Rockchucker wrote:
Also the back trail into coyote from glacier lodge is also nice!
I have always wondered about that trail, if it was abandoned or lost from disuse since there is a road up into that area now. looks like it would be a good choice for an early season trip.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien