SHR side trip and alternate route questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: SHR side trip and alternate route questions

Post by John Dittli »

here are some photos of the Lyell Fk area that might help. They have snow, but you can still get an idea of terrain.
1205_ 901_D1L.jpg
1205_ 882_D1L.jpg
1205_ 887_D1L.jpg
1205_ 889_D1A.jpg
1205_ 902_D1A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
urnotreal
Topix Novice

Post by urnotreal »

So Upper Lyell Fork and Hutchings Creek Basins are still on my agenda as well. I read somewhere that the saddle just east of Peak 11210 (straight west of Mt Ansel Adams) may be an alternative to Foerster Ridge. It looks like a stroll on the south side, and the elevation is a good bit lower than Foerster Ridge, though the descent into Upper Lyell Fork may not be as spectacular. Has anyone been this way?

Also, is "Harriet Pass" the next saddle south of Blue Lake Pass or is it somewhere on the long ridge to the north of Long Mountain? I can't find much mention of it anywhere (books or internet), but I was hoping to check out Harriet Lake anyway, so this may be the way to do it.

As for Ionian Basin, Manoftoomanysports, I've definitely checked out your report and found it to be quite helpful (thanks for that!). That place just looks to be really unique and I'm pretty excited to see it in person. As of now, I'm looking to go in over Black Giant Pass, through Martha and Davis to McGee Lakes, and out over McGee Pass to Sapphire Lake, though It's good to know that Wanda and Davis Lakes Passes are available if need be.

Thanks again
Pete
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Never have done this entire route but – Maybe because it did not have a fancy name back then.

Catherine to Upper Three Island, stayed high, almost due West – hitting the Northern TI Lake from above…slab and talus (mostly around Catherine) but a class 2 stroll.

From Harriet, wanted to see Rockbound, Blue and Bench Canyon. From Upper Harriet (the most eastern Harriet) went SE, crossing the crest at the gap, (Pass name?) just north of Long Mountain – east then northeast (never got down to Rockbound) and made my way up to Blue Lake – magic place.…again Talus slab but obvious class 2/3 route up… my way up to Blue, actually bit messy; the route on the way back came easier but both solo doable...returned to Harriet the same way the next day.

Last year at Harriet again, this time with the OldRanger, he described his past route to Blue/Bench Canyon as crossing a little north of the Harriet’s – ridge 11,200. He said that is where the SHR crosses over but to me, just looking at things from Harriet, my way looked easier and was slightly lower in elevation.
Mountainman who swims with trout
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

I've never been thru lower on Foerster ridge. I've skied to the low spot and it always has a huge cornice on the north side (even last May). I don't seem to have a photo showing it.

I've used "Harriet Pass" summer and winter, nice walk. It's the low spot just north of Long Mountain.

John
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

Thanks, all, for the replies, especially John with the photos. That helped a lot.