Jigsaw Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlowgren
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Jigsaw Pass

Post by rlowgren »

I just created a page for Jigsaw Pass over in the Cross Country passes section. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9031

This is a great way to link up South Lake and Big Pine Creek with a fairly easy shuttle between the two trailheads. I did it as a day hike/trail run last Fall and thought it was excellent. I think it would be used a little more often if it wasn't so confusing to where the acutal pass is. Feel free to ask me any questions if there's still confusion about the route.

Just a feeble attempt to add the great body of knowledge that is the High Sierra Topix.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: Jigsaw Pass

Post by SSSdave »

There is already more detailed information under Gendarme Peak at Summitpost.org but anything including pics is useful to peak baggers. Would never try attempting anything that steep and loose with a normal backpack unless was really desperate. History of that route is similar to other loose scree climbs in that the most difficult sections change year to year depending on where areas of loose rock are. That whole zone is notorious for rock slides and worth wearing a helmet in the chute. One rock slide a decade or so ago made news going all the way down across the trail. Also about a decade ago I was poking my way up Bishop Pass and a rather large noisy one filled the air with dust for awhile. Closer to the top ran into Kathy W coming down the other way and seem to recall she had not heard or seen anything approaching the pass from the west.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Thanks for the contribution rlowgren :thumbsup:
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Jigsaw Pass

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for the details on this route.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Great info on a seldom used pass Rlowgren, thank you for taking the time to post
it. Have used this pass once from each side, and have not found it to difficult
but can see how most folks descending towards the Bishop Pass area may feel
uncomfortable with the steepness and looseness of the rock, especially with a
heavy load.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Wow, scary cool pass. I probably won't be headed up there any time soon, but interesting none the less. I checked my Bishop Pass photos and found this one that also shows Jigsaw (I think). Its on the left. You can see the notch and the white diagonal dike.

Kris
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kris »

Theres 2 to 3 sections of downclimbing in the chute itself. Each one is perhaps 10 feet. The pass is not for the faint of heart. Lots of scree, gravel, and it is fairly steep-approx 45 deg. It was about 3 years ago when my coworker and i with a couple food drops in tote took the pass. We belayed our bags down those sections as a slip in that chute could have pretty serious consequnces. Attempt this pass with caution. Navigate those downclimb sections carefully and you'll be fine. They're nothing too major depending on ur skill but with a heavy pack be very, very careful. Best to belay your pack down those small sections so u can climb down comfortably. We weighed our bags in le conte at 80+lbs. Needless to say the talus approach up to the pass was a butt kicking teetering and wobbling affair. I was told by ranger rick (real name) that lots of rescues have taken place at jigsaw. Apparently we almost had one called on us as well when we didnt show on time for our first food drop. South lake TH was closed due to fire and we decided to haul both drops in one long haul over jigsaw and down into leconte. We even got stuck at the pass in a thunderstorm that had us cowering under talus boulders as lightning hissed and popped all around us like nothing i've ever experienced. Scary but exhilerating as hell. Jigsaw takes some nerves but is definitely manageable.
~We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot
Kris
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kris »

And yes it's the chute to the left in the above photo. It's the only descent chute u will see when ur at the top. The chute to the right in the above photo isnt visible until u've descended. We didnt check but i dont believe the chute to the right has top access. There was a register at the pass as well...
~We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot