Erin Lake- Miter Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Erin Lake- Miter Basin

Post by richlong8 »

Thanks Kathy. I have a feeling Erin is visited more by climbers than backpackers. Was your friend fishing Rock Creek, or Erin?
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

richlong8 wrote:Thanks Kathy. I have a feeling Erin is visited more by climbers than backpackers. Was your friend fishing Rock Creek, or Erin?
Yes, I don't think many people camp at Erin Lake. My friend, Bruce, was planning on fishing after we got down from Pickering; so he carried the fishing pole. As I recall he ended up fishing in upper Soldier Lake on that trip but not for long because the weather turned stormy. More people camp at Sky Blue Lake, but I doubt that it's ever crowded.

Miter Basin is really pretty - it might actually be nicer to camp in Miter Basin before Sky Blue Lake. I think that's what I'm going to do next time I go into that area.

I've been up to Arc Pass and camped at Sky Blue Lake, but I've never gone over Crabtree Pass. I'd like to do a sort of loop by going in over Cottonwood Pass, up into Miter Basin, over Crabtree Pass (attempting McAdie along the way), and the following Crabtree Lakes to the PCT and south on the PCT going over Guyot Pass (hitting Mount Guyot on the way), and then going on out over Army Pass instead of Cottonwood Pass. Maybe this summer.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I really liked upper crabtree
Panorama 2 (800x369).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I don't think I will try to get over the pass this time- only 4 day trip, but it looks mighty appealing.