Help me plan!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Help me plan!

Post by DavePloessel »

sparky wrote: On day 2, what is your intended route from table meadows to cunningham creek? this is quite a haul

I was hoping to go over table pass to big bird lake, then down to deadman, roaring river, and up cloud to big wet/cunningham.

I've hiked cloud and deadman and the trails in both are so nice that we should be able to cover big miles pretty easy once we get back on trail trail after the CC section from tablelands-big bird-deadman. It's going to be a long day, but entirely doable.

There are so many variations available. My original plan was more like a 15 day 200-250 mile epic but the time off is just not in the cards, so I had to pare bace about 2/3 of the places I wanted to visit... ](*,)
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Dave you can cut a couple of miles if, when you go down Deadman when you get to the last Ford before the Austin Camp drift fence (about 1 to 1.5 mi. above RR Ranger Station, you do not ford Copper Creek (yes there are two in Kings Canyon) but veer to the right and either squeez thru or over the fence (it is smooth wire) or look for the wire gate opening (be sure and close if you use the gate). You should easily find the user trail that skirts the n. end of Glacier Ridge that cuts over to a ford that gets you to the trail up Cloud Canyon (ford is near Grasshopper Meadow).

Mike

pm me if you are interested in best routes up to either Brewer (if your plan is to go up Brewer Creek the best route is not the shortcut above) or Cunningham Creeks--there are actually old horse trails but they are hard to find if you don't start out correctly.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

You may have already thought of these, but here goes anyway -
On day six, I would bag Milestone then Midway and descend to Colby Lake from Midway Mtn, not the col.
On day eight, I would contour around to Moose Lake then go up to Alta Peak and return to Wolverton from there.
Looks like an awesome challenge!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

A while ago, my wife said, "Hey! Lets spend a few days in New York City. We can shop every day and into the evening."
"What do you want to buy?" I asked.
She replied, "I just want to go shopping, not shopping shopping."
I blurted out, "Are you out of your mind?"
Then she said, "And you expect ME to understand why you hike 15 to 30 miles a day for 12 or 14 hours?"
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted

Post by DavePloessel »

Awesome!!!

Thanks for the suggestion!
oldranger wrote:Dave you can cut a couple of miles if, when you go down Deadman when you get to the last Ford before the Austin Camp drift fence (about 1 to 1.5 mi. above RR Ranger Station, you do not ford Copper Creek (yes there are two in Kings Canyon) but veer to the right and either squeez thru or over the fence (it is smooth wire) or look for the wire gate opening (be sure and close if you use the gate). You should easily find the user trail that skirts the n. end of Glacier Ridge that cuts over to a ford that gets you to the trail up Cloud Canyon (ford is near Grasshopper Meadow).

Mike

pm me if you are interested in best routes up to either Brewer (if your plan is to go up Brewer Creek the best route is not the shortcut above) or Cunningham Creeks--there are actually old horse trails but they are hard to find if you don't start out correctly.
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted

Post by DavePloessel »

sekihiker wrote:A while ago, my wife said, "Hey! Lets spend a few days in New York City. We can shop every day and into the evening."
"What do you want to buy?" I asked.
She replied, "I just want to go shopping, not shopping shopping."
I blurted out, "Are you out of your mind?"
Then she said, "And you expect ME to understand why you hike 15 to 30 miles a day for 12 or 14 hours?"

That's about right!

Funny thing is I finally found a girl who thinks hiking for 14 hours is FUN. I guess she's as messed up as I am. Must be love :D