Kaweah Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Kaweah Pass

Post by John Dittli »

I've never been thru Kaweah Pass, but I have crossed that same divide via the peak to the east. We climbed via the north ridge from Kaweah basin. There was a little class 3 but mostly class two. I don't recall it being particularly loose, certainly not as bad as the stories sound of the pass.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi JD,

Is this the peak and the approx route you are referring too?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

My apologies. I'm on the road and don't actually have my maps/journal or highres photos. So this is all from memory. I had thought it just east of the pass, but from your photo and a lowres I found from the trip, I think it was actually the long ridge another ridge east of the line in your photo.

We hiked that ridge and then out to the end of Red Spur then returned north along the bench above the Kern. I'll know for sure when I get home in a couple of days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

From that photo it looks like you may have gone up into that cirque and then climbed
up to the peak just east of that plateau located at 13000 ft.
It looks to maybe answer my question whether Red Spur Basin and Red Spur Creek is
connected by a route.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

First my apologies to the op and to posting from memory! Our route has little to do with Kaweah Pass other than possibly getting from lower Kaweah Basin to Red Spur Creek.

Here's a map of the day hike we did from camp in lower Kaweah Basin.
Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 6.32.03 PM.png
The route was either less loose than it looks, or more loose than I remember
Scan-130309-0001.jpg

Mostly I remember talus ridge running
Scan-130309-0002.jpg
Though getting around Pk 13,183 was a bit challenging as was dropping off Red Spur toward the Kern.

Fun hike though!
019_452_645AS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks JD for the map and pictures.

Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

John, no apology needed -- I enjoy the info and your photos are fantastic as usual. I'd like to explore that Red Spur area.

Mike
snowpatch
Topix Acquainted

Post by snowpatch »

This info is great. It shows almost exactly where I have been planning to hike this summer. We will be going into Kaweah Basin from Picket Guard Creek and then will exit via Red Spur Lakes and Red Spur Mountain. Initial idea was to traverse Red Spur, but after looking at topo maps we decided instead to to go up and over the ridge of Red Spur to Chagoopa plateau. Viewing these pictures makes it look like a definite go. Can hardly wait!!!