TR: Coyote Lakes, Kern River, Little Whitney Meadow

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Coyote Lakes, Kern River, Little Whitney Meadow

Post by sekihiker »

I just posted a trip report for a hike to the Lower Kern River area in early season 1974 at:

http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/~si ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Coyote Lakes, Kern River, Little Whitney Meadow

Post by jessegooddog »

I really enjoyed hearing about the snake convention! Were others attending, or was it rattlers only??
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Nice trip. I like that you include a map. Too bad you could not slow down. It is probably the same with kids - better slow down or they won't like hiking any more.

Did keep a journal? Or did you write this from memory 39 years later?

The map shows that there is private land in Lion Meadow with the cabin (visible in satellite image).
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

jessegooddog wrote:I really enjoyed hearing about the snake convention! Were others attending, or was it rattlers only??
All we saw were rattlers. I just realized as I was preparing this TR today that it seems like there was no way that such a small area could support such a concentration of snakes. It looked like happy hour at a singles bar.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

tomba wrote: Did keep a journal? Or did you write this from memory 39 years later?
I wrote the report from memory but only after I had plotted the route on the map. I found the photos last night and after I scanned them I added a few more details to the report.