Overninght camp near Upper Indian Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
perkins75
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Overninght camp near Upper Indian Lake

Post by perkins75 »

Are there any good campsites at Upper Indian Lake just off the Mosquito Pass Trail in the Red Mountain Basin below the LeConte Divide?
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Overninght camp near Upper Indian Lake

Post by sekihiker »

There are plenty of developed campsites at Lower Indian Lake which isn't that far from the upper lake. I've seen plenty of flat spots around Upper Indian Lake during my visits there, but I haven't seen any developed sites. I must admit, I wasn't looking for any, either.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I agree--plenty of good places to camp.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
fourputt
Topix Acquainted

Post by fourputt »

Good campsites on east side of lake, tho somewhat exposed.

If going that way, I'd vote for Heather Lake.

DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

fourputt wrote:Good campsites on east side of lake, tho somewhat exposed.
If going that way, I'd vote for Heather Lake.
Nice shots from Heather Lake! :thumbsup: I have only looked at it from above near that "slot", besides checking out some routes. OBTW, anybody going to Heather from the pass, get high on the NW corner (looking down on Heather), and traverse to the left into the bowl at the obvious spot to begin the descent.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

I went through there in 07. Camped at Upper Indian Lake(right side as you approach),then went down to Heather Lake and Blaney Hot Springs. The place I camped at Upper Indian was flat and exposed,very little trees and they're small. I had to keep a good eye on my food while I was cooking,fetching water,etc because a marmot kept trying to sneak up. Heather Lake had a jumble of downed trees around it making getting past it a little tedious,I don't remember if there was a campsite there.

Between Lower Indian and Upper Indian a marmot ran between my feet going in the opposite direction. The trail was about 10 inches deep and wiggled back and forth,there were also small trees along the trail obscuring my view. By the time we could see eachother,it was too late really,the marmot just kept going.