old Mineral King Glacier Pass route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
scsa92107
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: old Mineral King Glacier Pass route

Post by scsa92107 »

I came down that route a couple of years ago as a storm was chasing us. It barely visible on Google Earth but it is there if you look close enough. My favorite part was nearing the bottom towards Monarch as we traversed a steep slope. The rain/hail changed the color of the rock and surroundings to something out of Lord of the Rings. It is always enjoyable in the land of Rock, Ice, and Snow.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Scsa92107,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for you contribution to this thread. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Optimus-00
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Optimus-00 »

I've done Glacier via the old trail several times, but last was in the 90's. I remember lots of brush at the base, above groundhog meadow, and the lower section generally containing spilled scree. It was easier connecting the bits of old trail coming down, since I could see it better. Overall, a rocky route, but much more interesting than the long maintained trail.

I'm planning on going over Glacier again this year (early August), and will scout it two weeks before. The most recent info for Glacier (and Sawtooth) at SEKI is 20-30 foot wall below a cornice... I need to see if that's just Sawtooth, or applies to Glacier as well. I'll be carrying axe and instep crampons, in any case.