Tuolumne to Tahoe via PCT

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Alwayswalking
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Tuolumne to Tahoe via PCT

Post by Alwayswalking »

I ran into RoguePhotonic last summer, just north of McClure Meadows, and he suggested I check out this site. Glad I did. Wonderful source of info for my favorite place on earth. Couple of quick questions: I'm planning on hiking from Tuolumne Meadows to Tahoe this summer. I'm having trouble finding a map series similar to the Tom Harrison series maps. Do they exist? Also, figure I'll need one resupply. Best location? I'd also appreciate any must see or avoid areas. I'm just starting to plan and research so any input would be greatly appreciated.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tuolumne to Tahoe via PCT

Post by SweetSierra »

Welcome to HST Alwayswalking!

For maps, try National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps here: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They have topo maps/trails of areas across the U.S. Under the search function, enter one of the major features of the areas you will be passing through. They have maps that cover fairly wide areas. I just did a search for a route I'm doing this summer to the Snowmass Wilderness in Colorado and I found a map of the entire route. I'm sure they have one of Tuolumne Meadows and environs and the trail in the Lake Tahoe area.
Alwayswalking
Topix Newbie

Post by Alwayswalking »

Thanks for the welcome and reply Sweetsierra. I did glance at National Geographic, but didn't really explore its full potential. I'll give it more effort.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

If you have an REI near you, they carry Trails Illustrated maps.

I don't know about resupply from Tuolumne north. Others here might have more information on that.

It sounds like a great trip! And fun to plan for it, especially in the heart of winter.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Welcome to HST! Click on this link and scroll down to the "Index of Resupply Points"
http://www.tahoetowhitney.com/Resupply/ ... _Tips.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Alwayswalking
Topix Newbie

Post by Alwayswalking »

Perfect Maverick. Thanks for the help.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

I'm tentatively planning to do Tahoe to Mammoth this summer. If you find a good set of maps please let me know. I've bought both the Forest Service PCT map and the K. Scott Parks PCT books, but they don't quite scratch the itch. I really like the Tom Harrison JMT map set and would like something similar. I'm currently considering making my own.

I've looked at the resupply situation and I'm thinking that Kennedy Meadows Resort (http://www.sonorapassvacations.com/plac ... adows.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) on Hwy 108 is the best bet. It's about 1/2 way for me - it may be a little to close to Tuolumne for your trip. It's about 10 miles east (on hwy 108) from where you cross Hwy 108 near Sonora Pass.

There's various contact info on the web if you do a search. Curiously this resupply option isn't listed in K Scott Park's book. If anyone knows why I'd be interested.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The National Geopgraphic maps should cover all of this route.
QITNL
Topix Acquainted

Post by QITNL »

There are some good PCT maps here:
http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/mapdl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alwayswalking
Topix Newbie

Post by Alwayswalking »

Those look perfect. Thanks for the link QITNL