A week on the JMT - Onion Valley to Florence Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
calipidder
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

A week on the JMT - Onion Valley to Florence Lake

Post by calipidder »

I spent last week on the JMT with Paige and her daughter Taylor. I have just now finished organizing my nearly 700 photos. Don't worry, I didn't post that many, but it sure was hard narrowing them down. I wish photos could do the scenery justice, but there is just no way to match what the sights are like in real life. Trip report/photos are posted here.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Looks like a great trip! I didn't go through all the pics YET, but the ones I looked at were great. Thanks. How was the weather?
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

The weather was perfect. In fact, whenever we saw a cloud we made a big deal about it. "ooooh, look at the little poof!" Nothing ever grew bigger than a tiny cottonball in the distance. I think that the only gear I brought along that didn't get used was my rain gear. The only bad part was the mosquitoes, and even then they weren't as bad as I thought. They were TERRIBLE in Upper Basin, but fortunately we didn't camp there. We mostly experienced them in the mornings at our lakeside campsites.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Very nice! We were out for 3 days last wknd- saw the same kind of thing- little baby "cuummies" forming and dissapaiting. Quite a change from our July trip when it just rained and rained- not your typical afternoon showers but all day (and night!). At least I got to use the rain gear for something more than mosquito protection! :D
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

Looks you all had a great time. It also looks like you were about 3 to 5 days behind my brother and I. We were through Glen Pass on July 30th and got to Muir Trail Ranch on August 3rd. From the photos it looks like you had similar conditions, although it did rain on us the afternoon of the 4th. I know what you mean about the trails. After dropping down the and going through Deer Meadow, it got very tiring having to go around all of those obstacles. But the wildflowers were unbelivable! Pictures could not do them justice. I especially enjoyed the field of wild onions and flowers along the trail at middle Rae Lakes.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Calipidder, Beautiful pictures & I enjoyed reading your trip report! How cool you saw the sweet little Pika..I love them :D
Looks like you all had a really great trip. Do you like your Cloudburst? I have been thinking of one of his tents.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you Rebecca, I need to work my way down south a little bit more. Nice country.
Piece of cake.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Thanks everyone. Allyn, we smelled some wild onions a few times. I actually noticed them even more in abundance about a month ago in Emigrant wilderness, near YMeadow Lake.

madeintahoe, I *love* my Cloudburst. I call it my backcountry palace. For one person it is positively enormous (but a bit snug for two - fine if the weather is okay, but I wouldn't want to sit out storms in it with another person and gear). In my opinion it is a perfect shelter for one in the sierra summer - keeps the rain off and the bugs out! I'm hesitantly thinking of retiring it after this season and moving on to one of the tarptent Rainbows, but I'm quite attached to that Cloudburst of mine.