First time Half Dome..

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: First time Half Dome..

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Not sure exactly what you intend to do if you "Clip In". Unless you have the proper climbing gear (dynamic line and locking biner of adequate strength, climbing harness, etc) "clipping in" is actually dangerous. If you insist on doing this, get some training and the proper stuff.

Honestly, if you feel you need to "clip in" you probably should not do the route. A good pair of shoes (sticky rubber soles) and good fitting grippy gloves would help you a lot more.

I have done the route very early in the morning with very few people. To do this, camp at the Clouds Rest trail junction and get up early, stash your pack at the Half Dome trail junction, climb Half Dome, and pick up pack and return. A 2-day trip makes it a much more enjoyable trip and you do not have to worry about thunderstorms. It is easier to get a "pass through" permit than one to Little Yosemite Valley. Check regulations to see if it is still legal to camp just past the Cloud's rest trail junction. There is water in the stream there most of the time, except late season of a dry year.
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Not sure exactly what you intend to do if you "Clip In". Unless you have the proper climbing gear (dynamic line and locking biner of adequate strength, climbing harness, etc) "clipping in" is actually dangerous. If you insist on doing this, get some training and the proper stuff.

Honestly, if you feel you need to "clip in" you probably should not do the route. A good pair of shoes (sticky rubber soles) and good fitting grippy gloves would help.
This is the set up I would use...a basic climbing harness, two 3-4 foot long nylon "slings", and two locking carabiners, with a wide gate. I did mention bringing along approach shoes and rubber palmed gloves. My 'intention' for clipping in would be to prevent myself from becoming a bowling ball should the 'pins' above me start to tumble. I disagree that I should not climb simply because I have worries. Surely not everyone who climbs half dome is without a care. I just wear my cares on my sleeve for all to see. If I let my fears override opportunity, I'd probably never leave the house. Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated. =D>
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

What the majority don't have is climbing gear. It's already slow enough going up the cables that you're going to be standing there in a long line waiting.

People have only fallen off the cables a handful of times out of the many thousands (50,000 average every year previous to the permit system) who've done it. The vast majority of the 90 (I think, didn't keep count last year) folks who have died on this hike did so on the trail on the way, for various reasons that have nothing to do with the cables.
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

Most folks here have covered the basics. With the right mind-set and the proper gear, you will have a great time.

IMO, your biggest barriers are weather and crowds. Can't do anything about the weather, but you can avoid crowds by leaving early. You mentioned 5 AM at the trailhead...good strategy if you can make it happen. Even earlier would be better. Bring a headlamp! Also increases the adventure factor.

The payoff will be climbing the cables while everyone else is just getting to LYV.
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

Thanks...feeling better and better about this!
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Definitely Mist Trail up and JMT down.

I've been up twice. The two things that most threw me off were two items nobody had warned me about:

1. Need for GOOD gloves. Those wool work gloves with bumpies on them are good. Great friction makes a BIG difference. I had to use some gloves from under the rock at the bottom of the cables; none of them were adequate.

2. There is a short (12-foot?), very steep section early on, less than 5 minutes into the climb on the cables. The first time I did it it really freaked me out because I thought it meant that much of the route would be exactly that steep. It's not. It eases off almost immediately.

- Elizabeth
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

oleander wrote:Definitely Mist Trail up and JMT down.
There is a short (12-foot?), very steep section early on, less than 5 minutes into the climb on the cables. The first time I did it it really freaked me out because I thought it meant that much of the route would be exactly that steep. It's not. It eases off almost immediately.
Thank you Elizabeth! This is good info to watch for!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The point about clipping not being safe has to do with the forces involved in a fall. I recall that the cable stoppers (circular bolts) are quite a ways apart. If you were to fall, the force of hitting the lower stop could exceed the strength of the sling or caribiner, particularly if the sling is not a "screamer" type. If you clip, buy a "screamer". A screamer is a nylon sling that has been pleated with stitching that tears to reduce the force of a fall. In a real climbing situation, the rope is very dynamic and the stretch reduces the forces on all parts of the safety system. When just clipping, you no longer have the dynamic rope so you MUST build in a dynamic component in your clip sling.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

I still remember my first time too. It was 4th July weekend. We camped in LYV. We got up early and were the 1st ones on top...and did not see another soul for about 2 hrs!!!! YEP, 2 hrs on top of Half Dome all by ourselves! And on 4th July no less!!!!!
I think camping either at LYV or coming in from Tioga and going up early is best way to have solitude....in any case, you will have a memorable experience!:)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

Thank you WD for the clarification. I initially thought you were saying if I were afraid, I had no business trying this. Heck, I'm afraid of freeways but I still...oh, bad example, I don't drive freeways! lol
On the serenity of being alone at the top, oh I wish!!! I remember the first time I climbed Mt Tallac at Tahoe. Didn't see another soul on the trail, but when I crested the summit it was like Grand Central Station up there. Hardly a place to sit and eat lunch!