Big Arroyo/Willow Creek/Rattlesnake Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lambertiana
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Big Arroyo/Willow Creek/Rattlesnake Creek

Post by lambertiana »

I'm planning a trip that includes descending Big Arroyo from the patrol cabin, and following the "trail" all the way to where it goes over the plateau south of Willow Creek and then going up Rattlesnake Creek.

Can anyone give me good information about general conditions in this section? The park website says that the trail is virtually nonexistent in some areas. How much route finding will be required? Is there a lot of brush and talus to contend with?

I'm no stranger to off trail travel and navigation, so that aspect is not an issue. I'm just trying to figure out how much time to allot to this section.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Big Arroyo/Willow Creek/Rattlesnake Creek

Post by maverick »

Lambertiana wrote:
Can anyone give me good information about general conditions in this section?
The park website says that the trail is virtually nonexistent in some areas. How
much route finding will be required? Is there a lot of brush and talus to contend
with?
There is nothing extremely difficult about this section, the trail is easy to follow,
and nothing like for example the Kennedy Canyon to Dead Pine Ridge section in the
Monarch Divide which is truly a nonexistent trail, so beyond the steep climb up to
Franklin Pass you will be fine.
Now during the Spring run-off getting across the creek or even some of the spur
creeks can be an issue of much more concern!
One thing that I have not done yet and would be cool is to get up to Rattlesnake
Point and get some cool shots up the into the Kern.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org