Help for 2013 trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Kodiak
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Help for 2013 trip

Post by Kodiak »

Thank you all for your posts. Since I'm new to this I appreciate all your suggestions and I will start my research. I joined this forum to learn from those with more experience than me and you have given me a place to start looking. As far as the comment from Bill, I totally understand what you are saying about leaving no trace with fire pits. My intention is to find a place with a pre-existing fire pit where it is legal. I've been to an area where they were prohibited and seen the old pits people have made when they are not supposed to and I was offended as I am sure you all are when you come across such a site. I don't want be that person that's why I ask. I understand the reasons why certain areas have set restrictions. I plan to learn to live with such messy practices. Baby steps I guess.

As far as location I am fairly open. It just cuts your hiking time if it is spent driving. I'm coming out of an area outside of Los Angeles so the north end is quite a long haul. I know you all have great suggestions since the Sierra Nevada is so vast and I have just begun to explore. I figure once I check out a significant part of one end I'll move north. Thanks again.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

Paradise Valley is a fantastic destination for relative newbies.

The hike starts at Road's End near Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon NP. The drive there is beautiful. It is at a relatively low elevation, compared to much of the Sierra, so it opens up earlier than most places (easy to hike there in June). The most spectacular times to go are either early-season (June) when the waterfall there is really roaring; or in October when the aspen leaves are turning. Fires are allowed. I don't fish but a google search says the fishing is good.

I think you have to hike in about 7 miles before you can camp. That might exceed your ideal mileage. On the plus side, since the elevation is so low, and there is a lot of flat walking (some climbing too but not bad), the 7 miles are pretty easy. So it might not really be any harder than your hike into Jennie lakes.

You could park your tent at Paradise Valley for two nights in a row, and dayhike up the canyon as far as you want on your middle day.

- Elizabeth
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Pear lake and/or Moose Lake out of wolverton trailhead in Sequoia is a good place, but can heavily traveled....I have also seen it completely empty.