Anyone battle fear on the trail?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Anyone battle fear on the trail?

Post by Ska-T »

To answer your question . . . not me.

Concern for an approaching storm. Regret about not carrying the proper equipment for snow/ice travel. Hyper awareness of "hidden" rattlesnakes. Apprehension that a class 4 route will become 5.10. Curiosity at mountain lion scat near my campsite. But not fear, at least not long enough to engage a battle.

(Note: Yeah, the unedited threads seemed odd.)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

And now on topic. I'm in Ska-T's camp. There is no fear out there; just puzzles to solve.

My biggest fear is getting there from here. I've almost met two 18 wheelers head on on 120, and 99 is just a nightmare. It's never fun to see a big rig slide his rears around a corner and head at you.

Once at the trail-head, I relax. what happens next is what happens next. That's kind of the draw.. It's not fear so much as adventure.

Julie, glad you got out safely from Eagle Cap.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by whrdafamI? »

My biggest fear is getting there from here. I've almost met two 18 wheelers head on on 120, and 99 is just a nightmare. It's never fun to see a big rig slide his rears around a corner and head at you.
.[/quote]

I would truly like to see this "slide" you are referring to in action without the driver losing it. In order to do what you are implying requires a complete loss of traction and at that point the loss of control as well. Shortly thereafter most likely comes the roll over. Don't argue this one with me Russ, your way out of your league. I have been driving them for 38 yrs.
Last edited by whrdafamI? on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
RooPhillip
Topix Regular

Post by RooPhillip »

The two most common questions I hear when friends find out I'm going Sierra-solo are:
Don't you get afraid? and Do you carry a gun?

The feeling I get is not fear--it's almost the opposite of fear. It's a complete feeling of peace and relaxation. In fact, without getting into "too much information" here, I have a certain stress-related GI issue that COMPLETELY DISAPPEARS when I'm on an excursion... :)

Julie, If I'd ever been life flown out, or had a near death experience, or had kids to worry about in the Sierra I'd probably be fearful too. Hopefully, your fear will eventually be replaced by peace, and soon. Good luck!
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

I don't know if I would call it fear as much as dread. I dread running into dickheads on the trail or setting up their camp close to mine. Sure fired way to spoil a trip.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
Hikingfamily

Post by Hikingfamily »

FYI: The problem with my unedited original versions was that it contained my blog URL in the text - you are supposed to put those as your signature only.

And I put my journal entries as quotes without explaining well, giving reference to a long shot dream of turning our journal entries into a memoir book.

I have enjoyed reading the discussions about this topic as I figured I am not the only one that thinks about the dangers of wilderness travel!

New to the forum is all so the post came out wrong I guess. [-X
Last edited by Hikingfamily on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hikingfamily

Post by Hikingfamily »

Roo Phillip

So funny - that is the question we always get: are you bringing a gun? (NO!) And if people don't ask that, they usually ask: are you bringing a bear canister? (NO!)
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

My parents, along with my neighbor hood buddies parents, cut us loose in the Sierra backcountry for weeks at a time at the age of 12 (the oldest was 14). My Dad always said (tongue in cheek I think :-k ) that; "there are more where he came from".

I'm not a mother, or a father for that matter, so I can't even begin to relate at that level. But I have had some kinda close calls over the years (like a 140' leader fall while ice climbing and some other minor incidences). I've had more friends die in the mountains then I like to think, does it scare me? No. Has it taught me respect and introspect? Yes.

You are right in that SPOT is not an ER, nor is it a first aid kit or a replacement for knowledge and good judgement. Perhaps, if you and your husband don't already have it, your mind would be more at ease if you both had Wilderness First Responder training, the life it saves could be your own!
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
Hikingfamily

Post by Hikingfamily »

Hi John
WOW!! What an honor to have your post! We LOVE your photography!!

My husband was a Wilderness Guide for over 10 years in the Sierras and has extensive training and experience...I think it's why he's not scared to take me out there despite the scary way to start our marriage my near death experience was. I was unconscious - it was all his fast and smart thinking that saved my life.

Thanks

Julie
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

And if people don't ask that, they usually ask: are you bringing a bear canister? (NO!)
I don't understand the emphatic denial of the usefulness, and sometimes the legal responsibility, of carrying a bear canister. Yeah, there a lots of places you can go where a bear canister isn't required, but there are many beautiful places where they are, such as all of Yosemite NP, the Rae Lakes Loop, the Mammoth/Devils Postpile area, Bishop Pass/Palisades Basin, and Whitney Zone/Cottonwood Basin/Miter Basin area.

You didn't specifically say that guns and bear canisters are similarly ridiculous, but you kinda gave that impression.