Anyone battle fear on the trail?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Anyone battle fear on the trail?

Post by rlown »

don't feel silly. it's really ok to add to existing threads :)
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by OzSwaggie »

Oh thanks you are very kind, just that I think it's kinda nice to read the thread before adding to it! So I have read it now. Very interesting, too!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Never worry about getting a ride at North Lake. It is probably one of the easier and safer places to hitch.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted

Anyone battle fear on the trail?

Post by Ross939 »

Thanks for rekindling an old thread, interesting read. Might only add that I think a small bit of fear in your belly when you are hiking new foreign terrain is normal, and quite healthy. When one truly reaches a stage of "no fear", no matter how macho it may sound, you begin to let your defenses down, and the trail will becomes a more dangerous place.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I wish I could describe the feeling I get going into unfamiliar terrain. I would say it's like a pie chart, part excitement, part trepidation, mix in the "what ifs", a bit of pride because really not many people do this. It all adds up. I guess my greatest fear is taking care of my son properly while out, which in turn means I'm more careful in general. All of this kind of leaves after a day out. After several days my feelings revert and I have similar emotions about getting back to civilization. Maybe less of a pie chart and more of a pie!
I'm no suture for my future.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

sparky wrote:Never worry about getting a ride at North Lake. It is probably one of the easier and safer places to hitch.
I've been on the giving side 2x. First in the mid 70's at 10p a guy came into the NL cg looking for help for his buddy up at Deso with a broken leg. I took him all the way to the police station in Bishop.
Last year; I camped at the NL cg.(20+ some gawd awful $/night for pit toilets! Never again) Loaded my pole in the car to go fishing. Came up on a guy with his thumb out on the road out of the campground. Thought he needed a ride to the NL pack station to pick up his car. He was headed to the South Lake TH to pick up his car. His bud was trailing behind as he sprained his ankle. He was hoping for a ride to 168 and NL road. I took him all the way to the TH and gave him a beer along the way. He offered Clif Bars and some cash; which I declined both.
OK Fear on the trail....
The first night being alone in an unfamiliar area w/o another sole nearby. Lonely, and acutely aware after dark of noises; wind helps like white noise to ease the feeling. Solitude is why I go solo in the first place anyways as weird as it may seem. The other is timing of my buddies. It's like taking the first step in a hike that soon gets easier and easier. Being within a reliable source of water before I run out. I tend to drink a lot to avoid dehydration/headaches being a flatlander I need to stay ahead of the curve. Lastly after a couple of days the fear (okay loathing) of having to end a trip and going home; hoping I can make it back one more time to do it again!