Regarding some rare routes and regions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Regarding some rare routes and regions

Post by John Dittli »

Now, regarding you initial inquiry- for what its worth, I skied virtually that exact same line in the Ritter Range back in '85. My memory is quite vague on the specifics, but I keep pretty accurate journals and very accurate maps. The only real differences I see is that we stayed higher crossing the Shellenbarger Spur dropping only slightly on a nw traverse, then turning the corner of a sub-spur into the small pond shown on your map. From that pond we traversed due north to the ponds at the head of Dike Creek.

From there we traversed west climbing very little to cross the Dike/Slide Divide. From there north to a crossing of "Glacier Spur" where you show it on your map. I do believe we had to poke around a bit to find a good way through there. Be advised that this is very remote, deep, dark, loose territory.

Earlier that same trip, I crossed the Glacier Spur east of your location (east of peak 12,344 on the 15'). That required a short bit of 3rd class on the south, but dumps you on the glacier with smooth sailing over to Lake Catherine.

Also on my map I indicate that the pass even further east (right next to the Ritter Range crest) may be an easier though un-tried, alternative.

All these photos are on film, Kodachrome no less!

I hope this helps you out.

John
Last edited by John Dittli on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

Damn, John. Thanks. That helps quite a bit. I really appreciate it.

By the way, we met this summer on the trail west of Whitney when those Scouts had some trouble.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Hey ya! You were traveling with a woman? Yes I remember. They flew the Scout leader out that afternoon.
Last edited by John Dittli on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

One last thing; I re-read your OP and realize I missed your inquiry about the Silver Divide.
In 1990 we traversed the Silver Divide, again a ski trip, so I don't know much about the trails, or the underlying terrain surfaces, but I can tell you what passes work:

Grinnell to Red and White Lake
Tully Lake to Bighorn
Bighorn to Izaak Walton Lake
Mace to Warrior
Big Graveyard Lake to Peter Pande
Big Margaret to Beetlebug: Pretty sketchy on the south side, goes all the way to Beetlebug staying west of inlet.
Sand Lake to Coyote drainage over Sharktooth.

Happy Trails.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Amazing routes and photographs. I see no reason that all this can become a real great adventure (though its probably already done - I'm always late on these things).
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

Yep, that was me. RE: The western Silver Divide: Thank you. Roughly, those did/do seem to be the best routes. Thanks again.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I agree with John. The White fork route is shorter to the JMT and easier. Do WP for fishing. Another interesting route is Bench to Arrow. From there, follow the route down described in Secor. The large Arrow had football fish. I don't know about now.

This is the Lake at the head of White Fork. I would have bet I'd never post this pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

Thanks, Cross Country. Yeah, I'm considering the Arrow route, as well. Thanks for chiming in. (Nice pic, btw.)
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I did a lot of difficult cross country with the unlkely pack in thei pic. Some old timers here probably know what make of pack this is. What is it?
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted

Post by WarrenFork »

Looks like an early Don Douglass Alpenlite to me.