Tahoe to Mammoth Trail Opinions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Tahoe to Mammoth Trail Opinions

Post by cloudlesssky »

I'm starting to consider next year's long hike and would like some opinions. I'm looking at a Tahoe to Mammoth hike, probably in Aug or Sept '13. I've done just a little online research and it looks like I could go PCT all the way or a variant refered to as the Tahoe-to-Yosemite trail. I'm a trail hiker and I tend to do lots of miles each day (20+). I'm not a cross-country type. Any opinions on which is the better trail?
sierraholic
Topix Acquainted

Re: Tahoe to Mammoth Trail Opinions

Post by sierraholic »

The trails are almost exactly the same except for a couple of stretches. The biggest difference is the stretch through Mokelumne Wilderness. The TYT goes bushwacking into the Mokelumne Canyon for several miles. Bring your Technu and shears! Search and you'll see how brutal it is. The PCT may be your better bet!
"Not all who wonder are lost!"
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Yeah the old TYT takes a more brutal route through the Mokelumne drainage, sending you down poorly maintained trails into the maw of the beast. The Mokelumne Canyon is one of the most remote places in the Sierra because a lot of it is a heinous bushwhack. It is a worthy goal for exploration for those interested in the novel, spectacular and difficult. But it is not a place for through-backpackers. Stick to the PCT and enjoy the wild flowers and pennyroyal (and maybe a lot of cattle depending on the time of year you pass through the Ebbetts-to-Sonora corridor). Most of the route through there will take you through the guts of an old volcanic chain, tens of millions of years old, much like our volcanic chain in the Cascades, except very eroded away.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Ditto what Sierraholic and MK are saying. The trails in the heart of Mokelumne Wilderness are rapidly fading into the brush, a great frustration to many of us. The PCT, on the other hand, is in good shape and can be pretty spectacular on this stretch. Here are a few photos of the stretch between Ebbetts Pass and Raymond Lake (just a mile off the PCT). They were taken the weekend after July 4, so things are nice and green. Lots of cool volcanic rocks to look at and nice panoramas. Enjoy
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I would stick closer to the PCT than the TYT, mostly due to the Mokelumne canyon bushwhacking – unless you like that sort of thing. You might want to get the TYT trail book (by Thomas Winnett) just to check it out.
You might want to consider variations on the PCT. One idea that I think is good is just south of Sonora Pass. At the head of Kennedy Canyon, instead of dropping down the canyon and going by way of the West Walker river, take the trail that goes over the top of pk 10825 (also known as Big Sam) and then go by way of High Emigrant Lake, off-trail ( extremely easy off-trail) to Grizzly Lake and the top of the ridge/plateau that overlooks Dorothy Lake. From the top you can either drop down towards Stella lake and pick up the PCT as it nears Dorothy Lake pass, or drop to Band Pass and catch the trail there that goes down into Jack Main Canyon to meet the PCT. I find that route much more scenic than the PCT in that stretch.

Further south, after you get over Donahue Pass the JMT route south from there is more interesting than the PCT, but peel off at Shadow lake and drop to the river trail to get to either Agnew Meadows or Reds.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

Where at Tahoe will you start? The PCT can be directly accessed at Donner Summit, Donner Pass, Squaw, Alpine, Barker Meadows, or Echo Summit. Also, you could take an auxiliary trail and hit the PCT from General Creek, Meeks Bay, Eagle Creek, Glen Alpine Spring, and a few other places as well.

My favorite place to begin is at Meeks Bay, passing by a whole string of lakes on the way over Phipps Pass, intersecting the PCT before reaching the Velmas. Detour from the PTC and take the trail that skirts Upper Velma and turn onto a lovely and easy cross country climb up the granite channel as the stream climbs to Fontanillis. This is one long beautiful cascading waterfall. It is mildly steep, but it is not rough in the least. When you reach Fontanillis, you will also rejoin the PCT. It is a very short, easy, and worthwhile detour that will give you more scenery than the main trail in that little section. It is also worth it to explore all the small lakes around the south end of Aloha.

Good Luck!!
Tom
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

Tom_H wrote:Where at Tahoe will you start? ...
I haven't gotten that specific in my planning yet. I got the Forest Service PCT map that covers that area and it looked like I could pick up the PCT to the east of Tahoe and then head south. Not a real specific plan though.

I appreciate the input, suggestions and pics! Keep 'em coming.

Also, does anyone have input on water sources (especially any typically long dry stretches that aren't apparent on the maps)?
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

If you stick to the PCT, there'a aren't any really long dry stretches in this area. Maybe 3-4 miles max, but nothing worse.

I'll also put in a vote for explore the Emigrant Wilderness as you pass through it. nd the same is true of the northern section of Yosemite. This is wonderful country, and you shouldn't feel that you have to run through it to get to Mammoth. And way more fun to explore than Summit Creek and the bushwhack that others have already mentioned.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Bushwhacking sucks, but the trail into Mammoth is wonderful. Stick with the Yosemite border south of Sonora Pass because the scenery is better. You could even ascend Tower Pk. if you drop into the headwaters of the West Walker. Then back to the PCT. There's a particularly beautiful, ungrazed meadow - Horse Mdw - in the Emigrant Wilderness that's worth checking out. It exemplifies what meadows and creeks flowing through them should look like.