First Cross Country Pass TR - Knapsack

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BakoGal
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BakoGal »

I’ve never posted a trip report here because I believe my hikes seemed a bit unadventurous compared to the off-trail gurus who regularly post here. But this year, after lurking and reading numerous TRs by rlown, kpeter, AlmostThere, Wandering Daisy, Hobbs, SSSdave, Rogue, copeg, maverick (please come back!), and all the rest of you, and in honor of quentinc, here goes:

This year, after sticking to trails and never wandering very far off, I decided to put my practiced navigation skills into use. I wanted to head over a cross country pass, and since I travel solo (and am a bit of a senior!) I believe in taking baby steps with anything new. I studied the Cross Country Pass section of HST, and decided on Knapsack Pass.

On July 23rd I headed out….and was quickly reminded of the throngs of folks on the Bishop Pass trail…yet another reason to explore cross country. Up and over the pass I went, and jumped off the trail at the upper Dusy Basin Lake. I headed over to Lake 11388 where, already, it appeared I had left the crowd behind. I remembered reading a post about good campsites near the outlet of the next lake down, due east of Isosceles Peak, and headed there. With the exception of a couple trying out their brand new fishing equipment (and having no luck) who left in the afternoon, I had the lake to myself. I had a lovely sunset on Mt. Agassiz and a clear, starry night.

The next day dawned clear and bright. Instead of dropping down to the lower Dusy Lakes and then going back up, I worked my way level over to the area of Knapsack. At one point I had this view…..

and thought, “Should I be doing this?” I decided to get closer for a better view, because I’m never too proud to turn around!

There was a boulder field I had to work my way through and a little bit of willow bashing, but I arrived in the “center” of the route. From there I worked my way up and around easily-negotiable slabs just to the right of the drainage area. A peak back at the lake area where I had started…..

After all of my worries, the route finding turned out to be rather easy and fun! I made it to the pass and was really excited….

I returned by dropping down to the lower Dusy lakes where I explored, then worked my way back up to my campsite.

My winter will be spent studying maps and posts here for further off-trail exploration next summer. A BIG OL’ FAT THANK YOU to all who share your adventures, knowledge and inspiration!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: First Cross Country Pass TR - Knapsack

Post by RoguePhotonic »

You should never feel that your adventure is too insignificant to warrant posting. This is High Sierra Topix not High Sierra Hardcore maniacs! :p

Always good to hear what people are up to out there and what their own experiences are like.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I smell irony. Must be my imagination.

Way to go BakoGal! Post any and all adventures and worry not. There is a great joy in seeing others light up in excitement.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Great stuff! Sounds (and looks!) like you had a great adventure!

So where are you going next summer, now that you are thinking XC>>>
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

great start!
if ya make it up that way again, you can easily continue a mile or so along the other side of knapsack and camp out at barett lakes for an awesome view of the north palisade shown here:

(also marked on google earth)
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Great trip report! +1 on what Rogue said..
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Wonderful. I like your "I'm never too proud to turn around" comment. Also the photo on top of Knapsack. Also like your Barrett-Palisades photo, Lost Coyote.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Fantastic TR Bakogal!! Way to go on the first XC trip!!. I did about the same route over Knapsack into the Palisades Basin many moons ago (79 I believe) and you photos brought back a ton of memories. Thanks for sharing your trip and pics!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report and a very fine off trail debut. Best wishes for a great off season of daydreaming over maps followed by great adventures next summer.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Great first TR Bakoga! It sounds like you may have caught the cross country bug. Your pxts and narration totally conveyed the excitement of the experience. +1 on Barrett Lakes. You were very close to Palisades Basin, a beautiful place with no trails. BTW you did some of the Sierra High Route:)