TR: High Sierra Trail 9-16 September 2012

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mshields
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: High Sierra Trail 9-16 September 2012

Post by mshields »

orbitor wrote:Glad to be of help! I benefited just as much from the info mshields and others shared, so I thought it only fair to post my experience for others to draw upon.
Orbitor,

As a side note, a big part of my trip came together from HST member input a few months prior; I was simply continuing the cycle. In the grand scheme of things, there is something very satisfying about passing on one's experience, advice, and knowledge. After all, we are all after the same thing............. "soaking up some high quality Sierra"

Let's keep the tradition going! In the end, that is what this forum is all about right?

Take Care,

P.S. I look forward to the rest of the post
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

How did you arrange travel logistics? Is it possible as a loop, if so how many miles?
Anything can be looped but it depends on how many days you have or even how many days worth of food you want to carry. I did it in 14 days this summer although I climbed Mt. Russell and then took a cross country route back to Lodgepole.
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

The hermit wrote:How did you arrange travel logistics? Is it possible as a loop, if so how many miles?
Hermit: Like RoguePhotonic said, it is possible to do a loop, though until now he's the only one I've heard mention to have actually implemented it. I think for the vast majority it is considered a thru-hike, and after 6 days on the trail (to where it technically ends in the JMT at Wallace Creek), I have to admit the prospect of turning around and hiking back to either Lodgepole or Roads Ends in Kings Canyon held zero interest for me. Of course, no route is impossible given enough time and supplies - of which there seems to a dire shortage of for many of us...

Driving logistics were the biggest nightmare. We left 2 cars at the Portal and had a friend take us over the Sierras on the 178 and drop us off at Crescent Meadow. Unfortunately, 2 guys had to drive directly to Crescent Meadow, so after we were done, I drove around again to help them retrieve their car. Wasted a whole day doing that, then finally home to LA, but I will take a great backpack over a crappy shuttle any day.
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have partially looped the route, but the other direction. From Whitney Portal I took the trail Kern-Keweah, over Pants Pass (north to south is easier than the other direction), down to the lake below Precipice, took the HST back, side trips to Wallace Lake, Arctic Lake and Crabtree Lake - 12 days. I did not go all the way out to Crescent Meadow because I had done that section many times before. It is easier to do a loop, phycologically if you do not go all the way to the trailhead before returninig, and it helps to not repeat too much of the route. I think a loop is a very nice way to do it. There is also the key exchange - a better logistic plan than staging cars. Just mail each other extra set of keys, each group start at opposite ends, pick up each others car, meet at some town afterwards to get your own car back.
calicokat
Topix Novice

Post by calicokat »

Great trip report and photos. I was there in August and can't wait to go back. And I agree on the Mt Kaweah climb, what incredible views
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

I finally managed sorting through my photos and those of two of my companions, and was able to select the 240 best. They are uploaded to my Picasa web album and I would like to invite anyone interested to view them (special dedication to mshields!).
https://picasaweb.google.com/1166934220 ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I welcome any additional comments and questions.

(Just a note to respect copyright to these images by not reproducing, distributing or saving them without permission, thanks!)
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

orbitor wrote:I finally managed sorting through my photos and those of two of my companions, and was able to select the 240 best. They are uploaded to my Picasa web album and I would like to invite anyone interested to view them (special dedication to mshields!).
Orbitor,

Came across the additional post tonight; sorry I didn't see them earlier. Thanks for taking the time to put these together for all of us; it looks like you guys had a great one!

My favorite shots:

1) Precipice Lake (wow!)
2) Hamilton Gorge Tunnel Shot (wish I thought of doing that)
3) Kaweah Summit Shots (what a view)

Take Care and Keep in Touch,

mshields
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Great TR!