TR: Loop from Tuolumne Meadows

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Loop from Tuolumne Meadows

Post by John Dittli »

This from the NPS regs

You must camp at least four trail miles from Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite Valley, Glacier Point, Hetch Hetchy, and Wawona, and at least one air mile from any road. Camping is prohibited in the Dana Fork of the Tuolumne River.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Rangers in the park do exhibit conflicting ideas on what the rules are. I've had to correct the permitting ranger before.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

FeetFirst >>>"I'm curious as to why this is."

Budd Lake has been off limits for a long time because it is so close to the trailhead, it would likely be abused much like nearby Cathedral Lakes so the NPS would need to send backcountry patrols their too. Elizabeth Lake right below the campground is also no backpacking for similar reasons. From a few years ago this is a digi pic of the actual map that used to be in all the ranger stations. The TM station now uses a National Geographic topo that incorporated that info.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/_a-z_evad/TM.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The four mile rule is on trails but off trails is determined by their no camping zone maps. Otherwise its one mile aerial from roads though one ranger who knew me as a regular gave me a permit to tent atop South Whiz Dome that is a whiz stream less than an aerial mile.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Good work WD. Nicely composed reflections on Townsley and Booth. End of September one often gets some nicely calm extended periods during day hours when high pressure sets up maybe because thereis less effects of usual up canyon breezes.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I enjoyed your post and especially your photographs, WD.

I'll have to reach retirement before I have a chance to backpack in September--in 40 years of packing I have never experienced an fall trip. It will be such an odd experience to perambulate an autumn landscape. Until then, I will enjoy your pics!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

SSSdave wrote:
Elizabeth Lake right below the campground is also no backpacking for similar reasons.
It has been over 40 years since I last visited Elizabeth lake but I could swear it was uphill from the campground. ;)

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Thank you all for the futher exlpanation as to why Budd Lake is off limits to camping. I understand and fully agree with the 4 mile "trail miles from TH" rule, but wasn't sure about Budd Lake since no official marked trail is noted on maps. Likewise, I was unfamiliar with the 1 mile aerial from roads rule. Thanks again.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Another nice way between Matthes and Nelson Lakes is through the pass east from Matthes Lake.
IMG_3442-matthes-nelson-pass-small.jpg
IMG_3445-matthes-nelson-pass-small.jpg
The east side of the pass on 2011-09-04.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Spectacular shot of Matthes Crest, one of my favorite Sierra features (and a fun climb).

Yep Budd lake is def off limits and for good reasons it would be absolutely trashed otherwise. Even so there is a lot of stealth camping and trash because of it. I'm very surprised that it was ever in doubt at the permitting station, must have been a temp person working it. When we went in to climb Cathedral and various Echo Peaks a long time ago (over 25 years?) in fact we were camped in what I thought was a legal spot well above (south) of Budd Lake by the base of Echo Pks, outside the four mile limit, and a cross country ranger came along and made us move even more. It was only a few hundred yards!

I support these restrictions in the Tuolumne area. The Budd Lake corridor gets very heavy day traffic as it is, especially with the popularity of the Cathedral climb, as well as the easy access.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks for the TR. I hiked up there last summer, and loved the area but wasn't enjoying the crowds. Getting off the trail seems like the only way to hike Yose. Would it be a trip that a newbie X country guy could do relatively easily (bushwhacking and getting over the passes). Also, fishing is important, any info on fishing at those lakes? Thanks, Phil