south lake north lake loop question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mradford »

Hey guys, I am wondering about a north lake over lamarck into darwin canyon over to dusy basin over bishop pass to south lake loop. Can this be done in 3 days? Seems like it to me!

Thanks.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Re: south lake north lake loop question

Post by windknot »

Hate to be pessimistic, but I'm going to say no. Yes, it's technically possible, but you'll be spending all of your time hiking and won't have any time to relax/fish/enjoy the scenery. Heck, even fitting in a good trip to Darwin Canyon wouldn't be an easy undertaking in a three-day format if you want a lot of time to fish (but would certainly be much more doable). Unless you think you can make it all the way over Lamarck on the first day (bit of a haul, if you ask me), that means two days into the canyon, and then the third day out. This would actually give you several hours on the second day to fish, and I'll just say that it's worth spending some time in here.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

A more enjoyable three-day option would be to hike over Piute Pass, then enter Darwin Basin from The Keyhole and exit at Lamarck Col. You would have time for a day hike down to Evolution Valley if you wanted.

Mike
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

windknot wrote:Hate to be pessimistic, but I'm going to say no. Yes, it's technically possible, but you'll be spending all of your time hiking and won't have any time to relax/fish/enjoy the scenery. Heck, even fitting in a good trip to Darwin Canyon wouldn't be an easy undertaking in a three-day format if you want a lot of time to fish (but would certainly be much more doable). Unless you think you can make it all the way over Lamarck on the first day (bit of a haul, if you ask me), that means two days into the canyon, and then the third day out. This would actually give you several hours on the second day to fish, and I'll just say that it's worth spending some time in here.
Thats kind of what i was thinking.

Thanks guys!
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Could be done in three days if you go fast and far each day. I have gone over Lamark to Darwin lakes in one day a few times with a 45lb pack and it was a tiring day, fast and light you could probably make it to Evolution basin. Right now tho' is not a good bet for fast and light - short days, cold nights and chance of snow for the rest of this week.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mradford,

Have done this before, but it was done in 3 days because of the lack of time off.
It really offers so much too see/do that anything less than 5 days is a waste
unless of coarse your are hell bent on doing it, and 3 days is all you have.
Driving several hours too pick up your permit, getting over Lamarck Col, and down
too the lakes in Darwin Canyon makes for a pretty long day, altitude and
conditioning could be an issue for some.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

There is a good trip report by a guy who did a very similar route in 3 days/2 nights (total of 47 hours) although he stayed on trail from north lake to south lake. He went with minimal gear but did bring a tent, down jacket and full rain gear. Definitely no time for fishing.

http://www.caseyandemily.com/backpack/2 ... thLake.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

+1 re taking some time to enjoy the route. My wife and I did it in 4 nights this summer which allowed for swimming, nice long dinner breaks and sleeping in.

If you're interested here's a link to a trip report from this season where a group of 5 made it from the north lake t/h to evolution lake the first day.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=66010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree a shorter x/c trip might be more fun. Weather permitting I'm planning a 3 night trip next week in the area. Easy 1st day out of Lake Sabrina t/h to Midnight Lake. Over Haeckel Col to Evolution Lake or Darwin Bench on day 2. Over Darwin Col back to Midnight Lake day 3. Then out by lunch the last day.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

I've made it to Evolution Lake on day 1 also, but three days in a row of that sort of death march would be really miserable. And I've been over Lamarck dozens of times, so I didn't have to feel like I was racing past spectacular sights I'd never see again.
xshift28x
Topix Acquainted

Post by xshift28x »

Could this be done better in 4 days? I'm looking for a good 4 day 3 night trip and hoping I could work this loop in as it. Any suggestions on how to break it down and where to camp?
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

1) North Lake over Lamarck to Darwin Canyon
2) to Sapphire Lake (might as well stop at the best lake than push it to Wanda)
3) to Lower Pete Meadows
4) out over Bishop Pass

The two middle days are the least hard, but all days are still long without time to really enjoy it. And you are at risk if the weather goes bad.