Real deal: Simpson Meadow - Palisade Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Real deal: Simpson Meadow - Palisade Creek

Post by SandStorm »

I'll cut right to the chase. The Tom Harrison map as of 2010 STILL shows a trail. We all know that's not exactly accurate. Let's clarify.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Real deal: Simpson Meadow - Palisade Creek

Post by RoguePhotonic »

As far as I know between Simpson Meadow and Palisade Creek is still a fully maintained trail. I ran across a park service crew working that section in 2010.

Now Simpson Meadow lower down towards Tehipite is another matter.
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

First, thanks Rogue.

Next, really??

I was in the vicinity last year. Rick Sanger made it sound like the dark side of the moon.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

RoguePhotonic wrote:As far as I know between Simpson Meadow and Palisade Creek is still a fully maintained trail. I ran across a park service crew working that section in 2010.

Now Simpson Meadow lower down towards Tehipite is another matter.

first, yes, the section between palisade & simpson is in good shape. nice campsite at cartridge creek junction.

second, from simpson to tehipite is also in good shape... tho lots of oak leave/pine needle coverage lower towards tehipite - i never lost sight of the trail... this was in 2010 - and the black flies/gnats never lost sight of me.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

When I went through in 2007, for the most part the trail was easy to follow from Tehipite to Simpson; I only went astray once where the trail was obscured by leaves. At Simpson, I must have missed the main crossing, and the trail just petered out in a meadow on the north side of the river. I went back a few hundred yards to where it was right on the water's edge, and crossed there. I could see some horse tracks leading south through an area of tall grass and followed them to the main trail that comes down from Granite Pass. That trail is well maintained all the way to Palisade Creek.

The gnats were pretty persistent close to Tehipite.
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

Thanks for the replies, folks. I must admit I'm surprised. I hope this may clarify things for anyone who didn't know the state of the trail.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

Late update I talked to a NPS trail crew around Daughtery Creek in September 2012 who had returned from working the trail in the Tephite Valley area. They said it was very "wild" down there, but it is good to know they have not abandoned doing some maintenance down there.
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

Thanks for the update, richlong8. Very good to know.