Clark Range, x-country opportunities?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Clark Range, x-country opportunities?

Post by oleander »

Tell me about some x-country opportunities in the Clark Range. Could be in Red Peak Pass area - or elsewhere.

Class 1-3 only please.

Doesn't have to be peak-bagging - plain old strolling is fine.

Finally: What is your favorite (trailed) approach to the area? I'd be interested in "fastest" or "most scenic." Or tying it to going through another great area. I greatly prefer high alpine to low/forest scenery.

- Elizabeth
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Clark Range, x-country opportunities?

Post by TehipiteTom »

Red Devil Lake is gorgeous, and it's a short easy jaunt off the trail. Don't miss it.

For longer cross-country forays, consider Adair and Obelisk Lakes. Both are very pretty, and both have great views of the Cathedral Range; I think Obelisk is more beautiful, while Adair has fish (Obelisk doesn't).

I did a great trip in 2009 that was a modified Clark Range loop (starting at Mono Meadow) via Red Devil (where I met up with markskor and oldranger), Adair, and Obelisk Lakes; from Obelisk traversed around the corner and dropped down Clark Canyon to the trail in lower Echo Valley. There's a more detailed description here somewhere, but the bottom line is nothing scary or too difficult in all that.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Can I approach from the south, via Rockbound Lake? How is the trail up to Rockbound Lake? And the pass from there over to Harriet Lake?

Spotted Harriet Lake from the High Route and have since wanted to visit.

From Harriet Lake, could get onto the Isberg Pass trail, go to Red Peak Pass area, spend some time around there, then loop back to my car via Fernandez Pass or some other suggested route.

- Elizabeth
ckm554
Topix Novice

Post by ckm554 »

There are many good cross country opportunities around Red Peak Pass. Merced Peak, Red Peak, and Ottoway Peak come to mind and are all class 3. If you are heading from the Red Peak Pass area down to Washburn Lake you can follow Red Peak Fork or Merced Peak Fork for a nice shortcut, personally I've only done Red Peak Fork but I imagine Merced Fork is do-able as well.

Chris