TR: Tyndall Creek and Upper Kern, 9/22-9/27

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Tyndall Creek and Upper Kern, 9/22-9/27

Post by SSSdave »

wk >>>"...Hopefully this would entail sleeping at an official rest stop on 395, and not a sketchy parking lot or spur road. The timing worked out, I made it through Yosemite in good time, and at about 11:30pm I pulled in to the rest stop just north of Mammoth and laid my sleeping bag/pad out in the back of the Subaru. It was a compromise – an official rest stop, yes, but still rather sketchy. I’d be lying if I said I slept well, but I was able to grab a few hours and soon my alarm went off at 5:30am, signifying the official start of my trip..."

I strongly dislike sleeping so close to US395 mainly because of all the big rigs even into the wee hours. Also rather creepy sleeping along well used paved roads where I don't like the notion of waking up with someone suddenly nearby. It is so easy to find dirt road dispersed camping spots most everywhere well off from the noise along that highway. One just needs to look at the Inyo NF map a bit.

Have 10 day trips elaborately planned for both Taboose and Shepherd that I might have done this year early August were it at least a normal precip winter. Much less strenuous verts and miles each day including 2 to reach either of those passes. Will be spending more time closer to the rim of the Kern Trench where foxtail pines, greenery, and wildflowers are more common though lakes are fewer. Your late Septemember ramble was a rather dry and chilly time to visit there with short days, however as least from a photographer's perspective, a more likely time to have cirrus clouds for reflections in usually calmer waters at sunset and dusk.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Tyndall Creek and Upper Kern, 9/22-9/27

Post by windknot »

Yeah, I think if I were to do it again I'd probably crash a bit farther away from 395. I underestimated the amount of light and noise at the rest stop, but by that time I was too tired to relocate.

I tend to plan my trips primarily from a fisherman's perspective, and so in that sense the timing for this loop worked out beautifully (have a few fish pictures in the Fishing Hole subforum). I'll gladly take the mid- to late September cold, shorter days, and less verdant scenery in exchange for more active trout.