TR: Glen Alpine TH to Half Moon Lake, Desolation Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Glen Alpine TH to Half Moon Lake, Desolation Wilderness

Post by FeetFirst »

I did a quick much needed overnight trip into Desolation Wilderness last Wednesday (Sept. 26th). I entered the Wilderness via Glen Alpine Trailhead, which is at the far west end of Fallen Leaf Lake just west of big beautiful Lake Tahoe. The weather was perfect, not one mosquito, and since it was mid-week very few people were on the trails.

Glen Alpine Falls merely a trickle this late in the season:

Soda Spring still bubbling:

Half Moon Lake dressed for fall:

A nice spot for some lunch by Half Moon Lake:

I brought my packraft (FlytePacker by Fly Weight Designs) and floated the peaceful lake for a bit:

Home for the night:

Morning reflections:

The Crystal Range:
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Glen Alpine TH to Half Moon Lake, Desolation Wilderness

Post by DriveFly44 »

Awesome...no people or mosquitos!!! My kind of trip. Thanks for sharing.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Glen Alpine TH to Half Moon Lake, Desolation Wilderness

Post by FeetFirst »

DriveFly44 wrote:Awesome...no people or mosquitos!!! My kind of trip. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome.

I went on a similar trip a couple of weeks ago starting from the Twin Lakes TH. I'll try to post some pics soon.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.