TR: Headwaters West Walker River

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Headwaters West Walker River

Post by Tom_H »

There are several Twin Lakes. This one is off of US 395 near Bridgeport. There's a resort, marina, and other stuff there. You climb a very steep trail to Peeler Lake, continue due W, go XC over a saddle into upper Thompson Canyon. Continue up Thompson and over a pass, turning NW into the headwaters of the W. Walker River. There is a use trail down that stretch of the headwaters to Upper Paiute Mdw. From the place on the map where the color changes, you can again XC, side-hilling around to Tower Lake. This section requires orienteering skills. You can XC over easy Class 2 from there past Lakes Helen and Ruth to Dorothy. No sand and cow manure on this route like going in at Leavitt Meadow. Personally, I don't mind that trail as much as WD does. Here's a map.

http://caltopo.com/map?id=6T1I

If you don't want to do any XC you could go from Peeler down the South Fork of Buckeye Creek, then up the North Fork to Kirkwood Pass, down Kirkwood to Upper Paiute Mdw., then up the use trail to the headwaters. You can also start at the Buckeye Creek Trailhead. That's a trail WD has said she likes and that I'm not fond of.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Headwaters West Walker River

Post by SweetSierra »

I'm headed to this area with a group for nine days this summer. Thanks for all the beautiful photos, WD. I've only been on one backpack in this area and look forward to seeing much more of it.