Tehepite from down river?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Tehepite from down river?

Post by overheadx2 »

I was browsing the web, and came across a climbing site that was talking about taking the fishing trail 3 miles south of cedar grove to access the Tehepite Valley. He said at the end of the year as the water dropped, he was able to hike the 10+ miles up the river to Tehepite. Any one here aware of this, or is this just a bad story.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tehepite from down river?

Post by windknot »

I think there are a few members here who have done Tehipite (or close) from Yucca Point. Buck Forester, possibly, if he's still around. From what I've heard though, it's a real bushwhack even in the low-water season, and impossible in the high-water season due to fording issues.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Here is a link to a 2010 HST thread on this subject from someone who did the trip from Yucca Point to Tehipite:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just checked and the link is broken but perhaps there are other HST posts on this subject.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I read another site and it talked about bushwacking through a lot of poison oak. I can handle most hardships, but I don't bushwack poison oak. It was just an idea.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Here is report on this route from Climbers.org

http://www.climber.org/TripReports/1999/477.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

SweetSierra wrote:Here is a link to a 2010 HST thread on this subject from someone who did the trip from Yucca Point to Tehipite:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just checked and the link is broken but perhaps there are other HST posts on this subject.

==========

i actually met him on the trail (sept 2010) as i went down into tehipite valley that year.
his backpack was a kind that could be sealed up completely from water - i do not remember the make/model but it was a lime green color.
he said that there was a narrow section that he had to wade through waist deep... but it was not a problem either, being september low water and all. he was as surprised to see me as i was to see him... being that the valley was otherwise void of people and loaded with gnats.

i saw no evidence of poison oak on him but there certainly is poison oak because i was avoiding it on the lower 500 or so feet of switchbacks out of the valley along the sides of the trail.

too bad his link is broken.

but you can still see some of his images on google earth (name = damien626)
Last edited by lostcoyote on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Lostcoyote, Ron Hudsen, the author of the Climbers.org report, also says that he only had to wade waist deep once in his September trip. I've done one or two upstream hikes but they weren't nearly as far as this one. He doesn't mention poison oak, though as you say, I'm sure it's there. I'll have to check out the Google Earth photos.