TR: Taboose and the lake basins

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Taboose and the lake basins

Post by cgundersen »

quentin,
Thanks for the second round of shots! And, phenocryst, you're about the only person I've heard from who does not have horror stories to tell of the south fork approach to Cartridge Pass. My only inference is some folks have a better knack for following remnant trails. I'll stick to Vennacher col.
cg
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Taboose and the lake basins

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I too have had a positive experinece with Cartridge Pass and getting back to the PCT. I went from Lakes Basin back over Cartridge Pass (down to the Middle Fork of Kings River). I found a very distinct trail all the way and simply rock hopped over the talus cones. I thought the rock hopping was easy. I was on the way out and had a VERY light pack. I have also done Frozen Lake Pass twice - once each way and it was not as bad as rumored. With Cartridge, the key is being a good "old trail" slueth. With Frozen Lake Pass, I think it has a lot to do with hitting conditions right. I have also come into Lakes Baisn on Roper's High Route, dropping in to Marion Lake. Of all ways to get there, I prefer Cartridge Pass.