TR: Sierra Divide Loop (43 miles) (2007)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
nsmeier
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Sierra Divide Loop (43 miles) (2007)

Post by nsmeier »

Sierra Divide Loop (43 miles)
July 5 to July 10, 2007

Day 1: Lake Edison to North Fork Creek (8 miles)
Day 2: North Fork to Laurel Lake (6.5 miles)
Day 3: Laurel lake to Tully Lake (3.6 miles)
Day 4: Tully Lake to Big McGee lake (4.3 miles)
Day 5: Big McGee Lake to Hopkins Creek (4.8 miles)
Day 6: Hopkins Creek to Lake Edison (15.3 miles)

This trip took us from Lake Edison up the Mono Creek, then up the Laurel Creek Canyon, over Bighorn and Shout-of-Relief passes down into Tully Lake; from Tully Lake over McGee Pass to Big McGee lake; then over Hopkins pass, an aborted attempt over Crocker Col, and instead down through Hopkins Canyon, and finally back to Lake Edison via Mono Creek. About half the trip was cross-country (off-trail).

I recommend it.

for the full trip report with photos
http://nicholasmeier.wordpress.com/2007 ... vide-loop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Re: TR: Sierra Divide Loop (43 miles) (2007)

Post by Cross Country »

Looks to me like a really fun trip. I like your TR (writing) and you pics were great. I can't believe that no one but me has responded to this. PS: I love seeing pics of geezers (because I'm one) in the back country and cross country no less.

Here's another geezer (me) at Grouse Lake taken 9 years ago when I was a spry 60 year old. Gregg and I went to Kid on this trip too. Gregg was 53 and thought I was trying to kill him (ha ha).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

Very, very "cool". You have to be the cleanest backpacker I've seen. With that skinny frame and no body fat to insulate from the frequent ice baths....BBBbbrrrrr!
Anyways; thanks for sharing a great trip for us that are mountain-locked and far away to take advantage very often. A vicarious trip is welcomed.
nsmeier
Topix Acquainted

Post by nsmeier »

I do love to jump in every chance I get But yes, do have to be careful about not getting a chill. Glad you can enjoy it at least through my reports!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Nick, First of all, you've reassured why I filter water even when I'm high in the Sierra! :D With that being said, I'm no different; I take a dip every chance I get, regardless of water temp.

Anyways, good trip and report. Thanks for sharing.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.