Kerrick / Matterhorn Canyon Loop (Cross Country Routes)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Timing matters. I did a similar loop "pre-mosquito", which can vary depending on the snowpack. Although I had to deal with snow, I really enjoyed this time of year. Everything was fresh, the air was clear, there were few other backpackers, and the creeks were still easy to cross (pre-peak runoff). I did hit mosquitoes in lower Slide Creek so I should have gone a bit earlier.

Northern Yosemite has a notoriously serious mosquito hatch. Unfortunately peak mosquito coincides with peak wildflowers. Every time I have been disappointed in northern Yosemite has been very late season, when water sources are often dried up and smoke is in the air, and everything is dried out. However fall is a good time to avoid mosquitos. Peak runoff can also be difficult. Read some of the PCT journals of 2011! If you go up Little Slide Canyon, crossing the creek can be very difficult at peak runoff.

Another interesting way to loop is to go in Little Slide Creek; day-trip down Slide Creek (Lower Slide Creek near Bath Mountain is quite impressive); over Burro Pass and down Matterhorn Canyon (a day-hike down Matterhorn Creek to where it drops off is also quite interesting); up Virginia Canyon, then follow the High Sierra Route via Soldier Lake, Stanton Pass, upper Spiller Creek, and Horse Creek back to Twin Lakes. This may have more difficult off-trail than you want to do. There is a lot of detailed information on the High Route that you may want to look at. This route is better done later in the season- August, if it is a normal to high snow year.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Kerrick / Matterhorn Canyon Loop (Cross Country Routes)

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Wow, just noticed that this is a very old post! Guess I should pay more attention to the post dates. Sorry. Well, maybe someone will want to do this route. By the way did the original person who posted this do the trip?