7-8 Day fishing/pack trip suggestions....

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Packtofish
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Packtofish »

Thanks for all the great suggestions and info regarding the area. I can use all you've got, it's a huge help. I've been on out of town working so I haven't had a chance to get the quads for the area but, now I at least have a basic game plan. Entrance via lamark col and rest yet to be determined.....some kind of loop with the entry/exit at lamark. I have to get on it though, looks like they shifted the ten days I had off work to start at the end of next week :eek: I was planing on late august!

How are the bears when you get up away from people and above treeline up there. Anybody have reccomendations on a light bear can. Preferably a sack actually. I'd rather not carry a can if I don't have to.

Thanks Again!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi PTF,
OK, if you settled on Lamarck col (by the way, you can get an idea of the terrain online by going to Topozone.com and typing in a feature, and it'll display the topo of the area around, say, Lamarck col), a common loop is to go in (or out) Piute Pass (which essentially uses the same trailhead as Lamarck), and either swing around low (coming back up Evolution Valley and out Lamarck) , or if you want to stay high, go past Muriel Lake (reached easily on the first day from the North Lake trailhead)over into Goethe Lakes/Darwin canyon via Alpine col (lots of nice boulder hopping on the way up) or the Keyhole (which is more challenging). Then you could head into the McGee Lakes or Evolution Valley. Alternatively, a really sweet side route if you continue down Piute Creek is to go up to Spearpoint Lake. Good fishing, and few crowds. As for bearcans: I know of no sacks that work, but in my experience, Bearikades are lighter than the more common Garcias, and they will easily hold one person's food for a week. CG
Packtofish
Topix Acquainted

Post by Packtofish »

Thanks!