Ladder Lake to Ionian (Now with TR)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Coops
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Ladder Lake to Ionian

Post by Coops »

Back at our packs, we descended Wanda Pass, snagged water at Wanda Lake, and climbed the easy pass that leads to the upper reaches of the McGee Lakes watershed.
IMG_0425.JPG
We found a great, well used camp at Mcgee Lakes and thoroughly enjoyed our stay here…went swimming too.
P1000111.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
The original plan was to cross Haeckel Col, but after the Black Divide Crossing, we opted for the class 2 Darwin Col. So, we descended McGee Canyon, found the old trail, and crossed Evolution to the JMT, up to benches where we left the trail for Darwin Bench. Took a nice long break at the small lake here. To be honest, Darwin Canyon exceeded my expectations. We caught a perfect day weather-wise and no one was in the Canyon while we traversed. The lakes were azure blue, and overall, the hiking through here was delightful and moving. We would have stayed longer, but were determined to put Darwin Col behind us.
P1000151.JPG
The climb up to Darwin Col is straightforward and the cirque that includes the Darwin Glacier is really impressive:
P1000161.JPG
The Col is actually not the lowpoint of the broad saddle, but rather the scree chute on the left (shown below):
P1000162.JPG
We didn’t know this and opted for the saddle. Here we found a near-vertical cliff on the other side. We also found an old register/flask with a note from someone that looked to be from Colombia, SC. The note indicated that the register appeared to be from 1911 (according to the SC guy). Everything was too rusted out to really know for sure. Anyway, we traversed over to the proper col, and screed down the steep, loose chute. This wouldn’t be too suitable for large groups, but it was easy enough. You just had to be careful not to throw rocks and not to fall on your bum. Reminded me of a shorter, looser version of North Palisade’s Southwest chute.
P1000163.JPG
P1000165.JPG
P1000166.JPG
The descent to Blue Heaven Lake was more convoluted than we thought…same for the descent to Midnight Lake. Careful navigating and we were able to avoid most problems. The night at Midnight Lake was really temperate and peaceful, and Darwin put on a nice light show in the morning.
P1000168.JPG
We cruised over to Hungry Packer Lake in the morning to see if we could get a shot of the east side of Haeckel Col, but couldn’t. The west side looked pretty surmountable from Wanda. I’ll have to come back and dayhike the east side when I have time in order to get more beta and check the suitability. Regardless, we found this area delightful in general.
From here, we descended the trail to Sabrina and intersected the steep, interesting, George Lake/Table Mountain/Tyee Lakes trail. We took a break at George Lake, but otherwise hammered all the way back to the car at South Lake. The grades on this trail are pretty severe, but I enjoy that sort of directness, and the ecological changes along the way are fascinating. Couldn’t find a hitch, but the road walk was actually pleasant with all the Fall colors along Bishop Creek. Sorry no photos for that section…out of battery.
All in all, great weather, great scenery, great solitude….many, many tons of talus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ladder Lake to Ionian (Now with TR)

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Sounds like you took a route that was a bit more difficult. Did the chute you took top out on the ridge on a pile of bright red rocks? If so I told you not to enter that lol.

Following the ridge to the top was not very difficult although I did make one move with no foot holds where you have to climb by friction while you pull yourself up. Everything else was just picking through class 3 rock and ledges. I have yet to look through the photos but I will add them when I get the chance.

Since you made that crossing you can help me think of a good name for it. :)
Coops
Topix Acquainted

Post by Coops »

It topped out below that pile of burnt red, on its western side. If we're talking about the same rocks....a few different ways to skin that cat, if you know what I mean.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I forgot to mention the crash you asked about. That crash is in Hester Lake on the North Eastern shore. I don't think that lake higher up even has fish in it let alone an airplane lol.
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

This is a fantastic report. Many thanks. And thanks for the added insights, Mr. Photonic.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Coops: "We both found Ladder Lake to be really nice and found the only decent camp spots on the southwest side. "
I have heard some say there was some fair camping in the grove of trees on the NE side, SE of the outlet, though most seem to camp on the SW side. Did you check that out? Just wondering. I would like to see a map route from the river up to Ladder Lake. At one time there was a horse trail to Ladder Lake: did you see any trace of that? Thanks! Nice report.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LightRanger
Topix Acquainted

Post by LightRanger »

Heh. I left Wanda Lake at noon to try Goddard from that same direction two summers ago. Turned around at the same spot. :)

My buddies skied off the summit on a S-N Evolution Traverse in May 2011. That's the right way to do Goddard.

Typed with my opposable thumbs