How much information is too much?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: How much information is too much?

Post by Jimr »

On Cloudy's point regarding stickers. I used to do a lot of beach diving and for that reason, I never had any sort of dive stickers on my vehicle for the very reason mentioned above. Stickers advertised that if the vehicle is parked at the beach, then there's a good possibility of dive gear in it and would be unattended for awhile.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

@windknot: I saw the smiley but still wasn't sure of the intent so I ranted on anyway : :)
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Those who have valuables to steal of course need to be concerned while those who own little that would be of interest do not. Generally burglars tend to target well to do home owners because many also tend to collect large amounts of stuff and when there is no one home, a burglar may be able to break in through a window even if making some noise without alerting anyone.

Those who live in apartments like I do, usually own much less and there may be lots of neighborly eyes about even when no one is home. In my situation, probably someone in any of a dozen different adjacent 4-plex units can see my unit by just looking out their window or being out their front doors. Accordingly even though there is an area with a moderate amount crime about a half mile away where there are streets with many old beat up apartments, and unemployed street people, our areas rarely sees any thefts beyond teen agers on skate boards grabbing stuff in carports.

Even in my situation I am well aware that serious thieves with sophisticated tools could easily case a person over a period of days then break into any of our community units if they thought someone had say lots of jewelry in their apartment. So only a fool would advertise publicly on Facebook showing a case in their house with say a collection of rare stamps and coins. Rather quickly given a person's name, some thief might pay a few bucks to one of the white pages search services that use public records and quickly find out where they really live.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

My favorite thing on FB is when people "check in." "I having dinner at The Lookatme Cafe!"
First of all, who on earth cares, but second, it does seem like a perfect invitation to burglars.

On the other hand, the idea of someone being able to track down who I am and where I live from a post on Topix seems awfully farfetched. Even if they could somehow track down my address, and I have no idea how they could, they wouldn't know whether someone else was home. And all my fantastically expensive UL backpacking equipment would be with me on the trail, so there would be nothing for them to take anyway. :)
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I just want to say that facebook is a really disturbing website. Not because of what has been discussed above....but because people are strange in oh so many ways. Me included! Facebook is TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

I am holding back a facebook rant, I will spare you, I am sure most of you feel the same way :soapbox: :D
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Any visitors to my home while I was gone would find others there- the house is not empty: family members, dogs, Mr. Smith, Mr. Wesson, Mr. Taurus, and Mrs. Ruger......and nosy neighbors who don't like strangers, and who have the same friends I do.
Seriously, or maybe I was Serious :)
Burglars watch houses in nice neighborhoods so they know when they are probably empty during the day, and they can be in and out in less than a minute taking your best stuff. That is probably a bigger risk to the average person than posting on Topix, in my opinion.