Tips for Bishop Pass to evo Valley to Florence Lake?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Tips for Bishop Pass to evo Valley to Florence Lake?

Post by Hobbes »

overheadx2 wrote:This trip has always been on my list, and I would love to go longer, but I am unable to get more than a week off from work. I Try to keep a 2 -3 mph walking pace so that I can stop to fish and take pics along the way and still get 8 - 10 miles per day in and have the afternoon to fish. We plan on having one layover day, so a nice day hike is exactly what I was looking for.
3mph might be a little optimistic. I'm a UL guy & moderately fast walker, and I don't avg that pace. In fact, I started keeping track of my time in very specific segments, and have been surprised at the results.

Bottom line is that I realistically avg around 1-1.25mph going up a steep grade, pass or peak. Earlier this year it took me 3 hrs to cross Forester from Vidette (3k climb), and more recently it took 3hrs from Guitar to Whitney (another 3k climb).

Note this is pure time - I note my time when starting and simply mentally record when I finally drop my pack at the top. It's surprising how much time goes by drinking water, taking a breather, etc. I monitor my time history because I like to plan 15+- days (12-18 miles per day). I'm not trying to fool myself, so I realistically need to know how long I will be hiking.

Downhill is not much better if the trail is rocky like the Palisades. That is, if you above tree line, there isn't any soil or tree litter to 'soften' the trail. I find that I avg 2.25-2.5 on a hard trail. (XC drops to 1-1.5.)

Where you can really motor are well worn trails below tree line, which you might experience in the latter part of your trip. Otherwise, you might consider 1.25-1.75mph as more realistic for the day. If you are planning 10 miles/day, you will more than likely be on the trail for around 8+ hrs.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I'm relatively new, but have done quite a few trips. Even with fishing (5 cast rule - if no fish in 5 casts Im gone) and breathers 2 miles per hour + 1/2 hour for lunch is the minimum unless I'm going up a pass. I can usually expect to get to my next destination at that pace. I have always assumed most of you are averaging about the same. I'm 6'6" and all legs, so I may have an advantage, but with a pack under 30 lbs, 2 mph seems pretty easy even with breaks.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Given that you're a strong hiker, I don't think 6 days is pushing it at all for that itinerary. Of course, longer is always better, since you can explore a lot more, but realities like work have a funny way of intruding.

From Muir Pass to Evo Lake is fantastic, and also offers wonderful side trips. Like some others, I find the excitement factor drops with the altitude once you get past that. I find all of the meadows vastly overrated. Evolution Creek has some really beautiful cascades, though, once you get below Evolution Meadow. And take most of what your read in Sierra South with a grain of salt.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks for all the input. We are actually going to be gone 7 days, and plan on a layover day in evolution valley some where (depending on what we feel and see). Instead of dropping down and heading up to Franklin Meadow before heading to florence, I think we'll do a day hike up to bench lake or McGee lakes whichever has better fishing. Again, thanks for all the input, Phil