Desolation Family Washout

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Desolation Family Washout

Post by TahoeJeff »

School is starting soon and my family and I needed to get a backpacking trip in. We settled on a close spot and went in from Lilly Lake to Gilmore. Here is the crew minus me at the TH:

The forecast was 20% chance of isolated showers in the afternoon for the next few days and we got a little wet on the way up. The rain continued for a while once we got to Gilmore, but let up for a little fishing:

The "Rat Macks" were biting and after wetting his hands and an admonishment from me to "stay away form his gills" my son posed with his catch of a decent specimen:

Needless to say, GBs record at this lake is still safe!

We went to sleep that night with visions of peak bagging in our heads! The next morning a couple more macks were caught and breakfast was had, we made for Tallac. It only took about an hour to reach the summit. Here's my son goofing on me with Cascade, Emerald Bay and Tahoe in the background:

And looking West past Gilmore, Susie, a bit of Heather and Aloha to the Crystal Range and Pyramid:

On the way back down, my son found a patch of Fire weed:

After we made it back to camp, a swim was in order. My wife headed out toward the middle of Gilmore and the dogs dutifully followed:

That afternoon the rain clouds built up as usual. We had lunch and as the rain started we got in to the tents to chill out. My wife was in a 1 man tent napping and my son and I were in a 2 man playing "go fish". The rain got progressively harder and after a half hour or so my son poked at the tent floor and said:”Dad, things are getting squishy!” Not long after that my wife yelled out from her tent: “I’m getting flooded!” We had set our tents up in a flat, very compacted low lying spot, not thinking about a heavy down pour. We looked outside and the tent and were in a puddle about 3 inches deep! Bailing out of the tents and throwing them under trees we surveyed the situation. The tents were pretty wet, the bags too, and my son didn’t have a lot of dry clothes left. There was plenty of time ‘till sunset, but it was still drizzling. If the clouds broke, we could dry out and stay. Alas it was not to be:

I figured a small let down and heading out was better than a long cold/wet night.
We had some hot grub and threw our wet gear in the packs for a somewhat dejected hike out. I had the crew pose for a shot before we left. You can see Scout, the yellow dog was ready to go. But Finn the black one was still ready for adventure!

Even though we ended up leaving early, I view the trip as a success, since we caught fish and climbed a mountain!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Desolation Family Washout

Post by jessegooddog »

Great smiles on those happy dogs!!
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

Love the photos. Sounds like a good time in spite of the rain.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Sound like a fun but wet family trip TJ.
Love the Fire weed shot. The Labs swimming in after your wife is great. :lol:
Thanks for sharing.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ucangler
Topix Acquainted

Post by ucangler »

I cant help but ask what type of fish is that? Lake trout/char?

Thanks for the TR
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Great report! Glad to see that you were able to have a successful trip with your family, rain notwithstanding.

Ucangler, Gilmore Lake has the distinction of being one of the few backcountry lakes in the Sierra which has lake trout.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Thanks for the kind words guys! I forgot to mention how awesome the thunder was up there. It rumbled around echoing off the mountains for about an hour or so. I can see how ancient people thought it was the "storm gods" getting angry!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
ucangler
Topix Acquainted

Post by ucangler »

windknot wrote:Great report! Glad to see that you were able to have a successful trip with your family, rain notwithstanding.

Ucangler, Gilmore Lake has the distinction of being one of the few backcountry lakes in the Sierra which has lake trout.
yeah, it threw me off when i saw that. thanks for the clarification.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

BTW does anyone know of any other lakes (hike to not drive to) in the Sierra besides Gilmore and Stony Ridge with macks?

Milton Friedman
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I love this report because the 100+ days backpacking with Mike were the best days of my life and I've had thousands of great days. Your potos remind me of our trips.