4th of July Lake route. via Blue Lakes or Winnemucca?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

4th of July Lake route. via Blue Lakes or Winnemucca?

Post by Tollermom »

Hello, My friends and I are wanting to hike to 4th of July Lake. I did once in the late 1980's from the Winnemucca side. In reading Afoot and Afield, it looks like the Blue Lakes entry is shorter but steeper with a rocky trail that could be obscured by overgrowth of shrubs in places. Has anyone hiked it recently? As much as I love a new trail nd the adventure it brings..I don't want to get lost or end up hating the hike.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: 4th of July Lake route. via Blue Lakes or Winnemucca?

Post by giantbrookie »

The Blue Lakes approach, from the trailhead upstream of Upper Blue Lake is closer and requires less elevation gain (note that in both cases the biggest gains are returning rather than going), but I think this is outweighed in a huge way by the spectacular scenery coming from Carson Pass/Winnemucca Lake. Although popular, and I'd guess a more popular route to 4th of July Lake in spite of being longer, the Winnemucca/Round Top area never gets old. Accordingly, if the no. 1 priority is how quick one wants to get to 4th of July, then Blue Lakes is your best bet, but for overall considerations, I'd say Carson-Winnemucca is the better choice.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

Thanks Giantbrookie. Most of the fun of hiking is..hiking and seeing spectacular sights. Most likely we'll do the Carson Pass side...another consideration in changing my mind about our direction was the 'rocky trail' description in places from the Blue Lakes entry. Have to admit hiking on a rocky tail is not nearly as fun as a dirt trail.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Another possible twist would be to go from Blue Lakes via Devil's Corral (part cross-country), which is pretty spectacular (IMO).

Another couple considerations: as of the last time I did Mokelumne from Blue Lakes, there was no trailhead fee (Carson Pass does charge a fee, I think); and permit quotas are more likely to fill up at the Carson Pass trailheads (I've never had a problem getting a permit out of Blue Lakes).

If you're going up in more than one vehicle, the best of both worlds might be a point-to-point trip (with car shuttle) via Devil's Corral.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

k. I did CP to 4th of July for several years, but in '78-'82. We did hike out once over to Blue Lks, as we climbed "the nipple" at the peak before heading over (the peak right on top of 4th of July canyon). I can say that everything NE is an avalanche zone in the canyon. In '82 we had to cross cattle carcasses and downed trees. It might be better now but i don't know. Expect the trail isn't there and you'd be fine.

If you only want to go to 4th of July, the Winnemucca route over Round Top would be the best.

Russ
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

Thanks everyone. We decided to come In from Woods Lake/Lost Cabin Mine just for some variety...probably less people too.