Cottonwood Lakes?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
shampeon
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Cottonwood Lakes?

Post by shampeon »

I'm planning to do a short backpacking trip to Cottonwood Lakes starting September 13. All the online reservations are filled. If I get to Lone Pine Thursday afternoon, what are the chances the rest of the quota will be filled?

Also, anything in particular I should be aware of for a mid-September trip up there? I expect the nights to be pretty cold.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

Usually permits are easier to obtain after the Labor Day holiday when the Sierra virtually empties (compared to the summer), so I would say you'd probably have good luck getting a permit. Mid-September can be fairly mild--usually there isn't as much thunderstorm activity. It's not that much chillier than August, generally speaking. I would say bring a down jacket or fleece jacket and a good warm sleeping bag (warmer than 30 degrees). I sleep cold so bring my 0 degree bag throughout the summer. That's been overkill at times but I'd rather be too warm than too cold.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Cottonwood Lakes?

Post by Bluewater »

I have had no problem getting permits in Lone Pine for Cottonwood Lakes and Pass THs this past July and August, but I get there at 7:45 right before they open. Sept should be no problem. I'm heading out Sept 15 - 23 and will be bringing a 25 degree winter quilt just in case. Have fun.
shampeon
Topix Acquainted

Post by shampeon »

Sounds like we've got a good shot of getting the permit Thursday evening. I've got a 20 degree down bag that'll work.

Thanks, everyone.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by East Side Hiker »

Horseshoe Mdws is one of the highest trailheads in the Sierra (a little over 10,000'). I'd be careful if your driving up from the lowlands and plan to head right out. Really, you should spend at least a day at Horseshoe Mdw getting acclimated. And its not really a stroll to Cottonwood Lakes. But its lovely country and the first 14,000' peak in the Sierra (starting from the south) is nearby (Mt. Langly). Take it slow, take breaks, and stay hydrated.
shampeon
Topix Acquainted

Post by shampeon »

The plan is to stay at Horseshoe Meadows Thursday night, and hike in Friday, real easy like. No sense in pushing it too quickly at 10,000 feet.