TR: 20 Lakes Basin 8/4-8/6

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Peech
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR: 20 Lakes Basin 8/4-8/6

Post by Peech »

This was our "Newbie Trip" for any of our friends that wanted to try out backpacking for the first time under relatively painless conditions with lots of scenic payoff. The little kids and their mom took the boat across Saddlebag while the rest of us hiked in.

I had sent everyone a tutorial on food (posted it earlier in the backcountry food forum) and they still managed to pack tremendous amounts of heavy and bulky food items! I think for the first time I left with more weight on my pack than when I started since I carried out a good amount of their trash and uneaten leftover food stuffs. In any case we all had a good time and I can't think of a better place to introduce little kids and the uninitiated to backpacking on the East side.
Here's the TR:
http://peechierana.weebly.com/the-newbie-trip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you're planning a trip out there we had Greenstone much to ourselves and found lots and lots of campers by Cascade Lake. It looked like everyone tried to hike in as far as possible on the loop and ended up bunched together!

Conditions are dry, the wildflowers are starting to fade and I saw just one mosquito the entire time.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: 20 Lakes Basin 8/4-8/6

Post by maverick »

Thank you Peech for getting back to us with this wonderful TR and nice pictures.
Sounds like everyone had a great time which I am sure was due to your diligent
planning.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Thanks so much for that report! You have reinforced the place on my list for 20 Lakes Basin as an introductory hike.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Peech,
Yep, beyond Saddlebag is right up there with Rock Creek as perfect intro hikes. Great TR!
cg