Sequoia Kings Pack Trains - will they pack out my trash?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Guy Cooper
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Sequoia Kings Pack Trains - will they pack out my trash?

Post by Guy Cooper »

Hi,

I am theoretically supposed to be getting a resupply from these folks in a week at Charlotte. I have been calling them and leaving messages every day and emailing and can't get a return! So I figured maybe some folks on here have used them in the past and can answer one of my questions, which is, will they pack out my trash? And if I include some canned food (mmm dennisons chili) can I empty it into my pot on the spot and throw the empty cans into my trash and will they pack it out? Btw if anyone else has any ideas for some types of luxury or super yummy but heavy food I can include in my resupply shoot me some ideas! I'll be 9 days into a 15 day hike and I'm sure I'll be looking forward to the resupply! Should I calorie up on like 3 cans of chili or will that just make me sick at that point?
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sequoia Kings Pack Trains - will they pack out my trash?

Post by schmalz »

I cannot answer your question, but I am curious how much that resupply is costing you. That info would be useful for future trip planning for me.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guy Cooper
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Guy Cooper »

It's costing me $250, and that is becasue they are already heading out there to resupply other folks. If they weren't it would be like $450. Apparently $250 is their minimum charge, so even though they are already collecting the $450 from other folks, I have to pay $250 to get my resupply packed in. For $125 they would leave it at the Onion Valley trailhead, meaning i would have to spend 2 days hiking out and back. I figured for an extra $125 I will be pretty happy I opted for the other option. Seems crazy to pay that much, but for me this is a dream hike I have always wanted to do and the resupply will allow me to traverse E to W across the Kaweahs and the GWD as opposed to hiking out to Whitney or Cottonwood. Gotta pay to travel I guess.
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

$250.00 is not unreasonable.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

I would agree. I have had packers carry me and my pack to the lip of Granite Lake Basin up the Copper Creek Trail in Kings Canyon a couple of times and it was certainly worth the money to me.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

I'll say yes (as that was my experience), but you will most likely have to meet up with them in person.

I used Rainbow Packers several years ago to bring a resupply over Kearsarge Pass and into Charlotte Lake. I was fortunate enough to meet up with the packer at the JMT/Charlotte Lake trail junction. I collected my food there and the packer took my trash. Guessing had I not met up with them I'd have carried the trash out to Whitney Portal.