Upper Gorge of Despair

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Upper Gorge of Despair

Post by TehipiteTom »

cgundersen wrote:Hi Mav,
Imagine my surprise when I saw this thread, but it all makes sense. It'll be a year or two before this area rises to the top of the heap, but I'm certainly looking forward to a part of the Sierra I've seldom visited. Great photo from the Harrington ridge!
Thanks,
cg
When I was up there (in 2001) we didn't see a soul from Day 1 (sometime before Frypan Meadow) to Day 8 (coming down from Kennedy Pass, a little above Frypan Meadow). You will almost certainly have the area to yourself.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Mav/TT,
Yep, Volcanic Lakes is as far west as I've been on that ridgeline, so I have some exploring to do in that area! And, yes, I visited Volcanics in October and saw no one and my last time in that general area (6 years ago) it was one other person in 10 days (going in and out Copper Creek), so it is definitely low impact.
Thanks!
cg
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Yes it's very low impact, did not see a soul back there for the entire trip.
Saw a bear near Grizzly Lakes at a small meadow full of wild flowers near a
rock slide before the trail reaches the lakes where I spent an hour waiting
out a thunderstorm.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org