TR: A Tale of Two Peaks | High Sierra Topix  

TR: A Tale of Two Peaks

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Re: TR: A Tale of Two Peaks

Postby Hobbes » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:12 am

quentinc wrote:I was just there this weekend, traversing around to the Hitchcock Lakes.

Did you go over the pass & down through the watershed and back up past the ranger station? The boys asked me what lakes these were - I told them the Hitchcock lakes, but no one ever goes there. Looks like I was wrong - LOL. Did you return from whence you came, or go out over Whitney?

Hobbes
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby Mike M. » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:42 am

So who named it "Yeager Basin"? Or is that just what a few locals call it?

Just imagine what would happen if those Right Stuff guys pulled that frat boy stuff today.

I was on top of New Army Pass a few years ago and came across a large U.S. Forest Service group, with horses and mules. I mentioned being buzzed by a few fighter jets earlier in the trip, and they were all ears, wanting to know details and ready to call in a complaint. Apparently it's a persistant problem.

Mike
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby quentinc » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Hobbes: I left the "trail" by lower Crabtree Lake and tried traversing around the eastern shoulder of Hitchcock. It was somewhat successful, although I had to drop elevation at one point. Then I went up the shelf on the south side of Whitney Creek, which fortunately dropped down to Timberline Lake. Otherwise there was a deep gorge to cross to get to the other side of Whitney Creek.

I didn't do Whitney, figuring it could survive without having me on top for the 26th time. I went back out along the PCT, although I did as much hiking off the trail as I could to avoid the hordes.

Mike M: I was buzzed continually in Miter Basin last October. I wasn't sure if the pilot could see me giving him/her the finger. :snipe:
quentinc
Topix Expert

Postby windknot » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Mike,

Unless I'm vastly mistaken, I believe "Yeager Basin" was coined by Hobbes for this report, as I've never heard the Crabtrees called by this name either. Usually it's "Yeager's favorite lake" or something like that.
A few backcountry fishing pictures: http://wanderswithtrout.wordpress.com/
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Postby Hobbes » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:42 pm

quentinc wrote:Hobbes: I left the "trail" by lower Crabtree Lake and tried traversing around the eastern shoulder of Hitchcock.

This shoulder?

Have you ever gone up via Discovery Pinnacle from #3 or contoured around under McAdie?
Hobbes
Topix Expert

Postby quentinc » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:59 pm

More like where marker B is, assuming I did this right. (This would have been more apparent if I knew the difference between east and west -- I should have said west shoulder!)

There was a guy at Crabtree Pass who was planning on going over Whitney Pass. Looked like an awful lot of scree crawling to me. Of course, so was climbing Mt. Hitchcock, when I did that a couple of years ago.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Postby Mike M. » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:03 pm

Unless I'm vastly mistaken, I believe "Yeager Basin" was coined by Hobbes for this report, as I've never heard the Crabtrees called by this name either. Usually it's "Yeager's favorite lake" or something like that.

I think you're right. It messes with my mind when people change the names of (already named) places to honor friends/villains or their own little universe -- Secor and his L.A. climbing buddies do it too often. (Puppet Pass is an example.)

Funny, back in the day, I always called Crabtree Pass "McAdie Pass" not knowing others had already given it the Crabtree moniker.

Mike
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Postby Mradford » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:56 pm

When i was in miter basin a while back there were jets flying over every few hours, i kept wondering why they were flying over.
Mradford
Topix Regular

Postby Hobbes » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:24 am

quentinc wrote:I should have said west shoulder.

Ah, yes, I wasn't sure if that is what you meant. I had originally thought about contouring around myself, but I wanted to get to Guitar before dark. Actually, it was quite pleasant zoning out and just following the trail. In fact, the trail is so little used, it's almost like a use trail. I didn't see anyone until the ranger @ the RS. (I took the old trail and crossed the creek further up to join the JMT.)

There was a guy at Crabtree Pass who was planning on going over Whitney Pass.

I guess technically one can get to Whitney via Langley, Arc Pass or other ridge top routes. Way beyond my pay grade. LOL
Hobbes
Topix Expert

Previous

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping