Tehipite/Gorge Of Despair

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tehipite/Gorge Of Despair

Post by rlown »

Hi David,

If Mav was around he'd probably point you to this little ice-breaker thread for requesting info: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, welcome to the forum.
david s
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by david s »

I saw that and hesitated, but figured this was basically an extension of the thread. Let me know and I'll start a new one.

Our experience is level 3-4, one of our members being a 4. We take at least one 5 day outing a year which almost always involves some off trail passes. We've all been hiking for 15+ years.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm not a moderator. If this is a new trip request for you, start a new thread. It's your trip and we expect a TR afterwards. :)

Russ
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

On the Solomon map, can anybody make out the name of the camp above oak flat? Looks like it starts with a "G". It's right at the base of the switchbacks. I saw quite a few remnants of this camp, including steel pipe and a late 1800's flintlock. I don't know whether it was a percussion cap or black powder, probably the former. I wish I had taken a picture. I'd love to research what this camp was for. My guess is mining.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Sebastian_A_K
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sebastian_A_K »

Hi David,

did you end up going on that trip last year?
Found your post a few days after descending the Middle Fork from THV to Yucca Point with a partner at the end of September 2012 (those were the last two days of a 10-day off-trail trans Sierra hike) -we could have encountered you.
In case you're still thinking about going... I saw no trace of the trail you mention over silver spur.

Extremely tough terrain (I am a level 4 backpacker). The two posts that are to be found on the web must come from very, very fit people with light packs. Poison oak all over the place; my partner ended up with a pretty bad rash. The river was low, and it was a low snow year, but still not easy to ford. The banks are very steep and crumbly in most places. it took us 1.5 days from THV to Yucca point. if you go, follow Damien's example and take a waterproof pack.
I've been wanting to do this piece of middle fork for over ten years. Glad I was finally able to do it, but once is enough, that i can say. This is clearly something for people with canyoneering experience.
One positive thing, though: we encountered only one rattle snake.
Thought I would pull this thread back up as myself and two others are looking at an off trail trek into Tehipite in about ten days. Our plan is to head up the MF kings from Yucca into Tehipite, then attempt to find the old trail shown on this map: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fourputt/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 577891678/
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sebastian_A_K,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for contributing this info. Would ask, if you have
the time, to please write up a seperate TR of your adventure, including photos, if
you took any. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org