TR: Gould Pass ~ Cross Country to Rae Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Gould Pass ~ Cross Country to Rae Lakes

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks Mradford. Big mountain scenery is what I've been waiting for all winter.

Q, there is a free download from Google that is safe called Google Earth that will automatically open the kmz files once it's been installed. The kmz files will fly you right to the spot. Here's the link:

http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's an amazing tool for checking out new routes etc.

I hope that helps!

Andy.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

quentinc wrote:Bluewater, thanks for the info.
Unfortunately Microsoft wants to sell me something before letting me open the kmz files.
quentic: I figured out how to save a screen shot of the route from google earth. This might give a better idea of the route options to Gould Pass.
south side of ridge to gould pass.jpg
north side of ridge to gould pass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

I figured out how to save a screen shot of the route from google earth. This might give a better idea of the route options to Gould Pass.
That is some rad stuff! Thanx for the .kmz files - I had my 1:24k map out as an x-ref and could clearly see the correct path on the contour lines. Here's my attempt at marking the key spots on Acme:

quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Guys, thanks for the Google Earth photos and Acme mapper. Hobbes, on the Acme, from the contour lines I would have guessed the pass was between A and B, slightly closer to B. Maybe that's why it was so confusing for Bluewater in real time.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

"That is some rad stuff! Thanx for the .kmz files - I had my 1:24k map out as an x-ref and could clearly see the correct path on the contour lines. Here's my attempt at marking the key spots on Acme:"

That Acme map has great resolution, what a resource. Thanks Hobbes. Point A looks like where I crossed the ridge and point B must be the pass.

The pass seems to be called either Gould or Dragon Pass. It's labelled as Dragon Pass in Sierra South by Kathy Morey and it is described as an option to Gould Pass by Secor, "The other option is Dragon Pass. Climb the broad talus gully that leads west from Lake 11,360 toward the ridge crest. . . climb class 2 ledges and talus to the Sierra crest. Either continue south along the crest to Gould Pass or go north a couple hundred feet to a class 2 chute that descends the west side of the crest to Lake 12,000".
dragon pass approach.JPG
A wooden post is described as marking the location of Gould Pass, but I didn't see one from the pass I crossed. I found this Sierra Club photo from the pass.
wooden post at gould pass.JPG
Secors description mentions two talus slopes on the west side of Gould Pass, "When approaching this pass from the west, make the final approach via the southern of two talus slopes". Another Sierra Club photo.
gould pass sierra club.jpg
It's all inconsequential, like Maverick posted it is more about the cross country experience than finding any specific route. It doesn't get much better than wandering around the High Sierra in the summer!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Yes, Acme mapper is great! I stumbled upon it about a year ago.